Audio By Carbonatix
The Majority in Parliament has accused the Speaker, Alban Bagbin, of being unappreciative of the gestures extended to him by government.
Commenting on the withdrawal of the Speaker’s Military detail in a press release dated January 17, the NPP MPs said Mr. Bagbin is the only Speaker who has benefited from many facilities that have not been accorded the previous Speakers, including having military protection.
“Following from the principle of bending backwards to accommodate the Speaker, the Minister for Defence has on occasions availed Casa-Air Plane and Helicopters to carry the Speaker to his Region and home village,” the Caucus wrote.
They added that “again when the Speaker was invited to Nigeria, the Presidential jet was placed at his disposal. These facilities have not been accorded the previous Speakers. It does appear that the Rt. Hon. Bagbin is unappreciative of these gestures from the state.”
Thus, the Majority in Parliament believes that it is unfortunate the Minority's claims that the withdrawal of Military protection from the Speaker’s security detail is politically motivated.
This comes in the wake of a leaked document from the Ghana Armed Forces (GAF) directing the withdrawal of some 4 soldiers from the office of the Speaker, because they were assigned there “without proper procedure.”
GAF’s Chief of Staff, Maj. Gen. N. P. Andoh said WOII Apugiba Awine David, S/Sgt Agbley Prosper, WO1 Jafaru Bunwura and Sgt. Bonney Prince’s attachment to Bagbin’s office since he assumed office on January 7, last year, is improper.
“It is humbly requested that the personnel are withdrawn with effect from 14 January, 2022 while efforts are made to regularise their attachment,” a letter from GAF stated.
But the National Security Ministry said the rationale behind the move has been misconstrued as a deliberate ploy by the Executive.
“The Ministry of National Security would like to place on record that, contrary to the aforesaid misinterpretation, all requisite resources including logistics and personnel required for the full protection of the Speaker have been provided,” the Ministry said.
However, Minority in Parliament said the withdrawal of Speaker Alban Bagbin’s military guards is a politically motivated action aimed to diminish his confidence.
According to the Minority, the calculated move is due to Mr. Bagbin’s persistent bid to impartially and independently steer the affairs of the legislative arm of government.
Describing the move as shameful, the opposition accused the Akufo-Addo government of acting in bad faith.
Meanwhile, the Majority Caucus, who disagree with the Minority, stated that although Speaker Bagbin’s Military protection has been withdrawn, the Police protection for him has always been in place.
The Speaker, they stated has four Police officers in his known residence, three Police officers in his secretariat and five other Policemen in and around the Speaker's office block any day any time.
“Indeed, none of the previous Speakers had half of the Police cover as has been accorded Rt. Hon. Bagbin. It must be emphasised for the record that Rt. Hon. Alban Sumana Kingsford Bagbin has been served with the largest number of security personnel for his protection that none of the previous Speakers had,” the Caucus added.
They added that if in the opinion of the Speaker, the Police have some deficiency, it would serve the nation to work together to cure any deficiency detected.
Latest Stories
-
‘I’m sick and tired of this country’ – Ghanaians in South Africa pour out frustrations at meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister
11 minutes -
‘Mum’s dementia means I live in the moment with her’
20 minutes -
Energy Commission champions Clean Energy Transition
32 minutes -
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
49 minutes -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
1 hour -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
1 hour -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
1 hour -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
1 hour -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
3 hours -
Government deploys armoured buses disguised as VIP, STC and OA coaches to fight highway robberies
3 hours -
GES director raises alarm over 300 teacher deficits in the Asutifi North District
3 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
5 hours -
FHU alumnus launches medical textbook
5 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Obeng clinches bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
5 hours -
Rescuers search for more than 20 trapped after Philippines building collapse
5 hours