Audio By Carbonatix
Nigeria's spate of abductions worsened on Saturday as more than a dozen students and four women were kidnapped from a school in Gada, Sokoto.
Local MP Bashir Usman Gorau told the BBC that 15 students were among those kidnapped early in the morning.
Meanwhile, the army is still searching for hundreds of schoolchildren taken in the western town of Kuriga on Thursday.
In an update, the state governor Uba Sani told the BBC that at least 28 of these children had escaped.
Thursday's kidnapping - which saw 280 students taken - was the biggest mass abduction from a school since 2021.
Gangs of armed men on motorbikes took primary and secondary school children between the ages of eight and 15, school authorities and parents said.
Nigerian troops are working with police and local search teams to comb forests within the state of Kaduna, where Kuriga is located, as well as neighbouring states.
Almost every family in the town is thought to have a child among those kidnapped.
One pupil, believed to be 14 years old, who had been shot by the gunmen and was being treated in hospital, has since died.
The kidnappings followed women and children taken from a remote town in Borno state the day before.
Mr Sani said the lack of boots on the ground was the main reason for the rise in kidnappings in the area.
Families of the abducted children have formed vigilante groups and are seeking help from neighbouring communities on the whereabouts of the children.
Nigeria's Vice President Kashim Shettima is visiting Kaduna and is due to meet the governor.
President Bola Tinubu said on social media he was confident the victims will be rescued.
He tweeted: "Nothing else is acceptable to me and the waiting family members of these abducted citizens. Justice will be decisively administered."
- Why mass abductions have returned to haunt Nigeria
- What in the World Podcast- Nigeria's kidnap crisis
- Why Nigeria's economy is in such a mess
The Kaduna mass abduction has evoked memories of the nearly 300 girls in Nigeria's north-eastern town of Chibok in 2014.
In parts of northern Nigeria, parents fear for their children's safety and are wary of allowing them to go to school. As a result, thousands of children are not attending school.
The last major abduction of children in Kaduna was in July 2021 when gunmen took more than 150 students.
They were re-united months later after their families paid ransoms.
But in 2022, Nigeria passed a law banning ransom payments to kidnappers and imposed a 15-year jail term for making them.
It also made abduction punishable by death in cases where victims die.
Latest Stories
-
Deploy new approach to flood management — UG Pro VC
4 minutes -
Parents can buy additional NaCCA-approved textbooks for children – Deputy NaCCA boss
7 minutes -
Youth must have a real voice in national issues beyond jobs, creative arts – EU
9 minutes -
AGTC: How women-led initiative is turning golf into jobs and tourism opportunities
14 minutes -
Exporters call for single-digit interest rates to boost Ghana’s horticulture sector
18 minutes -
Young political leaders must look beyond party lines to strengthen Ghana’s democracy – EU
23 minutes -
25 female KNUST physics students receive GH¢87,500 Whittaker Foundation suppo
25 minutes -
Berekuso-Kwabenya-Kitase road project stalls as First Sky cites unsigned contract and funding challenges
29 minutes -
Interior Ministry urges strict enforcement of Armoured Bullion Vehicle standards in Ghana
31 minutes -
GNFS rescues trapped man after Ford F-150 crashes into Kia Rio at Suhum Niifio
32 minutes -
Firefighters need stronger protection from smoke, air pollution risks – Clean Air Fund
34 minutes -
Constitution guarantees speedy trials for all cases, not selected ones — Kpemka tells Deputy AG
34 minutes -
Hostel operators warn Rent Control action could worsen accommodation shortage at KNUST
35 minutes -
Fire Service equipment shortage persists as some appliances go 15 years without replacement
37 minutes -
Guinness Ghana DJ Awards 2026 nationwide tour kicks off in Winneba
38 minutes