Audio By Carbonatix
The Trump administration has moved to terminate almost 500 employees of the federally funded news organisation Voice of America (VOA).
The step is the latest in President Donald Trump's drive to strip back the outlet, which the White House has accused of being "radical".
Acting CEO of VOA's parent agency, Kari Lake, said the decision would "help reduce the federal bureaucracy, improve agency service, and save the American people more of their hard-earned money." A union representing employees called the step illegal in a statement to the New York Times.
VOA was set up during World War Two to counter Nazi propaganda, and has become a major global broadcaster.
The outlet is overseen by the Agency for Global Media (USAGM), which said a total of 532 positions would be eliminated. The majority of those employees are from VOA, which would be left with 108 staff, according to a court filing.
In June, Lake announced 639 employees would be terminated, although the notices were later rescinded due to paperwork errors. Some employees also filed lawsuits to block the terminations.
The announcement late on Friday night came a day after a judge ruled the Trump administration had not followed proper procedures in its attempt to fire VOA's director, Michael Abramowitz. The judge also ordered Lake to sit for a deposition, where she would be questioned by lawyers.
The lawsuit was brought by a group of agency employees trying to block attempts to close down VOA.
"We find Lake's continued attacks on our agency abhorrent," they said in a statement to the BBC's US partner CBS News.
"We are looking forward to her deposition to hear whether her plan to dismantle VOA was done with the rigorous review process that Congress requires. So far we have not seen any evidence of that, and as such we will continue to fight for what we believe to be our rights under the law."
Most of VOA's journalists have been on administrative leave since March but some Farsi-speaking staff were called back as war between Israel and Iran broke out this summer.
The notices will also not affect journalists working in its Office of Cuba Broadcasting division, which broadcasts news in Spanish from Miami.
Critics say Trump's attempts to strip back VOA amount to an attack on press freedom and impact America's ability to exercise soft power abroad. The administration has accused the outlet of being "anti-Trump" and "radical".
VOA broadcasts TV, radio and digital content in almost 50 languages.

Latest Stories
-
Africa’s top editors converge in Nairobi to tackle media’s toughest challenges
46 minutes -
Specialised courts, afternoon sittings to tackle case delays- Judicial Secretary
49 minutes -
Specialised high court division to be staffed with trained Judges from court of appeal — Judicial Secretary
1 hour -
Special courts will deliver faster, fairer justice — Judicial Secretary
2 hours -
A decade of dance and a bold 10K dream as Vivies Academy marks 10 years
2 hours -
GCB’s Linus Kumi: Partnership with Ghana Sports Fund focused on building enduring systems
3 hours -
Sports is preventive healthcare and a wealth engine for Ghana – Dr David Kofi Wuaku
3 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund Deputy Administrator applauds GCB’s practical training for staff
3 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund strengthens institutional framework with GCB Bank strategic partnership
3 hours -
UBIDS to Complete Abandoned Projects Following GETFund Financial Clearance – Vice Chancellor
3 hours -
Nii Moi Thompson questions Anokye Frimpong’s ‘distorted history’ narratives
4 hours -
Anthony O’Neal set to receive Ghanaian citizenship, prepares to launch ‘Class on the Bus’ Initiative
4 hours -
South Tongu MP inspects GH₵500,000 surgical equipment, supports District Court with logistics
5 hours -
Kpasec 2003 Year Group hosts garden party to rekindle bonds and inspire legacy giving
7 hours -
Financing barriers slowing microgrid expansion in Ghana -Energy Minister
7 hours
