Audio By Carbonatix
The Trump administration is in talks with the Democratic Republic of the Congo to resettle 1,100 Afghans who have been stranded in Qatar, awaiting U.S. visas, according to an advocacy organisation that works on their behalf.
The discussions underscore the legal hurdles facing Afghans who fled the Taliban after U.S. immigrant visa processing for Afghan nationals was effectively halted, leaving them in limbo more than four years after the U.S. withdrawal from Kabul.
Shawn VanDiver, founder and president of #AfghanEvac, a coalition of veterans and advocacy groups, told Reuters that U.S. officials had briefed him about the plan to resettle the Afghans in Congo, which he described as unacceptable, partly because of chronic insecurity in the central African country.
The Afghans are housed at Camp As Sayliyah, a former U.S. Army base in Qatar, where they were transferred to complete immigrant visa processing for entry into the United States. Some are relatives of U.S. citizens or worked for a U.S.-funded organization during the 20-year war.
But that processing ground to a halt after the Trump administration took office in January 2025.
Last June, the Trump administration included Afghanistan on a list of 12 countries subject to a travel ban, with a narrow exemption for Special Immigrant Visas (SIV) for Afghans who served alongside troops and diplomats.
In November, Washington stopped immigrant visa processing for all Afghan nationals following the deadly shooting of two U.S. National Guard members by an Afghan former CIA-backed paramilitary unit member.
A federal judge ruled in February that the ban on Afghan SIV visa processing was illegal, but processing is effectively at a standstill, according to VanDiver.
#AfghanEvac said in a statement on Tuesday that the 1,100 Afghans had been vetted for resettlement.
A State Department spokesperson said in an email late on Tuesday that resettling the Afghans in a third country would be a positive solution that would give them a chance to start a new life outside of Afghanistan. It did not respond directly to a question about whether Congo was among the countries under consideration.
A Congolese government spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The New York Times first reported on the effort to resettle the Afghans in Congo.
AFGHANS UNLIKELY TO ACCEPT CONGO RESETTLEMENT, ADVOCATE SAYS
Congo has experienced decades of conflict and is currently fighting a Rwanda-backed rebel movement that made major incursions in the east last year.
That makes it unlikely the Afghans will accept resettlement there, VanDiver said, adding that the U.S. could potentially use their refusal as justification for sending them back to Afghanistan.
"I worry that this is just a way for State to wash their hands of these folks, many of whom are women, children, and family of U.S. military, that will ultimately result in them becoming stateless or having to go back to certain death in Afghanistan," VanDiver said.
The Trump administration had previously sought to resettle the Afghans in the southern African country of Botswana, VanDiver said, describing that country as a more viable potential destination.
The initial plan to send the Afghans to Botswana has not previously been reported. Botswana's foreign ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The State Department did not comment on whether it had previously tried to resettle the Afghans there.
Plans to send the group to Botswana ultimately fell through, according to VanDiver, after the country objected to a new U.S. requirement that its citizens seeking to enter the U.S. post a $15,000 visa bond.
Latest Stories
-
7-month-old baby found dead in a drain at Obuasi Old Estate
24 minutes -
Tunisia coast guard recovers eight bodies of migrants whose boat sank
25 minutes -
One man diagnosed with prostate cancer in the UK ‘every eight minutes’
28 minutes -
After losing 2012 election, we couldn’t even afford prepaid credit – Obuobia Darko
32 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
2 hours -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
2 hours -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
3 hours -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
3 hours -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
5 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
6 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
6 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
6 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
7 hours