Audio By Carbonatix
Chelsea's Ghanaian midfielder Michael Essien has denied drink-driving charges against him, one of his entourage told AFP.
The Sun newspaper this week reported that a Chelsea insider and witness claimed Essien was arrested for drunk driving in the early hours on Monday after leaving a nightclub.
The tabloid said that the 24-year-old was pulled over by police in his black Range Rover, and took a breathalyser test. When the result proved positive, he was arrested.
A spokeswoman for London's Metropolitan Police declined to confirm whether Essien was arrested, as per police policy not to name individuals arrested, but told AFP that at approximately 5:10 am (0410 GMT) on Monday, "officers in Southwark (south London) stopped a vehicle driving in Old Kent Road."
"Officers spoke with the driver and subsequently arrested the 24-year-old man on suspicion of drink driving. He was taken into custody and later bailed to return pending further inquiries - next due on a date in July."
But a member of the player's entourage firmly denied the report, telling AFP that Essien had been taken to a police station to provide a blood sample after an inconclusive breathalyser test.
He said after Essien had passed the blood control he was allowed to leave the police station and drove home in his own car.
Essien missed Wednesday's Champions League semi-final first leg against Liverpool due to suspension.
Essien, who was named the BBC's African Footballer of the year in January in a poll in which 12,000 listeners voted, had reportedly gone clubbing in south London with his friends on Sunday night, before being arrested Monday morning.
Essien's spokeswoman was quoted as saying: "He is very upset and does not believe he was over the limit. Michael is a responsible person who would never drive if he thought he would be impaired by alcohol."
Credit: AFP
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Divers recover bodies of seven Chinese tourists from bottom of Lake Baikal
51 minutes -
From windstorm to resilience: How Wa school is growing climate protection
1 hour -
Reclaiming the Garden City: Dr. Kwame Adinkrah urges Kumasi to rein in billboard proliferation
2 hours -
Bursar of Ghanata SHS arrested for alleged diversion of student food supplies
2 hours -
Trump says he will increase global tariffs to 15%
2 hours -
Bogoso-Prestea mine records first gold pour after 24-month shutdown
2 hours -
Ghana–ECOWAS talks end with renewed push for women and youth political inclusion
3 hours -
Interior Minister receives Hudai Foundation food donation for prison inmates during Ramadan
3 hours -
UBIDS to benefit from pre-fabricated US$6.6m 1k capacity classroom project
3 hours -
Interior Minister launches Automated Fire Safety Compliance System to enhance public safety
3 hours -
Africa must lead climate intervention conversation – Experts
3 hours -
Ghana hosts high-level ECOWAS meeting to boost women and youth political participation
4 hours -
Canada looks to trade talks after US Supreme Court tosses Trump’s tariffs
5 hours -
Ghana, Burkina Faso sign 7 cooperation agreements to deepen bilateral ties
5 hours -
Duraplast supports Accra sanitation drive with donation of 20 waste bins
5 hours
