Audio By Carbonatix
Arsenal have left Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri out of the squad for Saturday's match against Newcastle with both close to moves away from the club.
Fabregas is expected to move to Barcelona for ÂŁ35m with Nasri set for Manchester City for about ÂŁ23m.
Despite their absences, Wenger refused to be drawn on the speculation over the midfielders' futures.
"I expect nobody to leave. There is no news. If there is news, I promise I will give it," he said.
When asked if he therefore expected the pair to stay, Wenger replied that that was "a good conclusion from my statement".
However, earlier on the club's official website, Wenger admitted that Fabregas' future could be decided before the start of the Premier League season on Saturday.
"That is completely the truth. We hope it will be sorted out very quickly one way or the other. We'll know very quickly," he said.
Fabregas has not appeared for the Gunners in pre-season after suffering a hamstring injury, although Wenger has admitted his skipper has been unsettled by the interest from Barcelona.
Wenger dismissed the suggestion, however, that Fabregas had refused to play for him.
And despite Nasri starting and playing for 65 minutes in France's game against Chile on Wednesday, Wenger insisted the 24-year-old was suffering from an illness.
"Cesc is not on strike. Cesc is not injured, he's not match fit. I don't want to go any deeper than that," he added.
"Nasri went for the national team, he was sick, and he has not completely recovered yet. There are no other aspects why he is not in the squad."
Robin van Persie will be captain for the side's first match of the season against the Tynesiders on Saturday in Fabregas' absence.
Without Fabregas and Nasri, Wenger will start his Premier League campaign with a shortage of personnel in midfield.
Jack Wilshere, Abou Diaby and Theo Walcott are suffering injuries, while Denilson has returned to former club Sao Paulo on loan.
After the visit to St James' Park, Arsenal play Liverpool and Manchester United in the Premier League with two legs of their Champions League qualifier against Udinese completing their first five matches.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Residents of Brekusu-Kwabenya-Kitase protest over deplorable roads
4 minutes -
Genser Energy secures 456m euros to accelerate next phase of growth across West Africa
9 minutes -
COKA visits Kokofu after Ashanti NPP win, calls for unity ahead of 2028
12 minutes -
Bono East crowns Kintampo SHS, Gyarko Community Day SHS for national public speaking finals
31 minutes -
GRIDCo completes initial repair works on Ashaiman transmission line
41 minutes -
Egyapa Mercer donates hairdryers to graduating hairdressers in Sekondi
47 minutes -
Health Ministry hands over 30 ambulances to National Security for refurbishment
51 minutes -
Republic Bank deepens commitment to homeownership with nationwide JoyNews Habitat Fair partnership
56 minutes -
Archbishop Duncan-Williams links galamsey to Ghana’s wider culture of indiscipline
59 minutes -
India’s clean energy leadership in green hydrogen
1 hour -
Ghana’s Road Safety Crisis: We must move from reaction to prevention
1 hour -
Duncan-Williams urges Church to educate Ghanaians on dangers of galamsey and gold smuggling
1 hour -
New Defence Minister pledges technology-led defence posture
1 hour -
India and Africa: Relations beyond rhetorics
1 hour -
Top Zambian opposition figures arrested days after presidential vote
1 hour