Audio By Carbonatix
A 22-year-old unemployed Mohammed Collins, alias Collitey, was on Monday arraigned at an Accra Circuit Court on a provisional charge of robbery for allegedly raiding a house at Madina Estate and shooting the owner to death.
The victim, Louis Kofi Kuma Beddu, was the owner of Louis Gas Company and at about 8:00.p.m. on September 14, 2010, he returned home with an unspecified amount of money.
His wife welcomed him and collected the bag containing the money, but before he and his wife could get into their room, the suspect was said to have scaled their wall to commit the crime.
Even after the bag containing the amount had been thrown at him by the wife of the deceased, ostensibly to avert any contact with the suspect, Collins was reportedly not satisfied and went ahead to shoot the man at close range before bolting on a waiting motorbike.
Collins pleaded not guilty to one count of robbery and the court, presided over by Mr . Eric Kyei-Baffour, remanded him until September 6, 2011.
Chief Inspector Johnson Anim told the court that the late Beddu returned home that fateful evening with the money which he collected from various sales points and was walking towards his room with the wife when the suspect suddenly struck.
He said Collins, on entering the compound of the house, fired a warning shot from a distance of about 15 metres, sending the wife of Beddu screaming for help. The suspect, he said, then rushed on the couple but the woman threw the bag containing the money at the suspect.
“But after picking the bag, the accused person got closer to the couple and fired from about five metres and hit Beddu in the head. The accused person scaled back the wall with the bag and fled to a waiting motorbike,” he said.
Beddu was rushed to the Legon Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
Chief Inspector Anim said police intelligence led to the arrest of a group of armed robbers who operated within Accra and its environs and on August 19, 2011, the accused was identified by the wife of the deceased during an identification parade at the Accra Regional Police Headquarters.
“When the wife was invited to the parade, she pointed out the accused person as the intruder who robbed and killed her husband,” he said and added that the accused person did not challenge the woman.
The accused was not represented by a lawyer.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Mali renews Barrick Mining’s Loulo license for 10 more years
1 hour -
Gender pay gap won’t close for another 30 years, warns UK trade unions group
1 hour -
No free pass for internet platforms on child safety, Starmer says
2 hours -
Andrew’s time as trade envoy should be investigated, says Vince Cable
2 hours -
‘Trump will be gone in three years’: Top Democrats try to reassure Europe
2 hours -
Cuban cigar festival called off as US blockade worsens energy crisis
2 hours -
Head of Dubai-based ports giant quits after Epstein links revealed
2 hours -
Nigeria’s state-owned NNPC records $4.2 billion after-tax profit in 2025
3 hours -
French tourist found dead in Chad after falling off cliff
3 hours -
Asuogyaman MP commissions four projects, breaks ground for more on birthday
3 hours -
GNFS averts potential petrol tanker explosion at Aveme Junction
3 hours -
Ferocious fire at Agatex Paint Factory in Ho contained
3 hours -
MTN Ghana drives nationwide blood mobilisation in partnership with Ho Teaching Hospital
4 hours -
MTN Ghana leads lifesaving blood drive as Ho Teaching Hospital warns of critical shortages
4 hours -
KNUST dominate maiden SEEDAfrique Relay Open Championship in Kumasi
4 hours
