Audio By Carbonatix
Mr. N. K. E. Osam, the Agona West Municipal Circuit Court Judge, has expressed his displeasure about the failure of the police to produce eight wee suspects before him last Tuesday.
When the case was called, the prosecutor, Inspector S. Opoku Mensah, said the suspects could not be brought to court due to transportation difficulties.
The presiding judge who looked worried said “these people had been in custody for some time now. Some may be innocent of the crime they were suspected to have committed so why should they be denied justice”? He queried.
The eight are Yaw Yeboah, 20; a trader, Prince Kojo Mensah, 19; a trader, Frank Lamptey, 24; a plumber, Kwame Danso, 20; a labourer, Stephen Abanor, 26; shoemaker, Eyiah Dadzie, 22; a student, Kwabena Ninsin, 19; trader and Odartey Wellington, 33; a trader and self-acclaimed pastor.
They were among 15 suspected criminals who were rounded by the Swedru Police Command on Friday November 18,2011 at their various hideouts in the community.
The arrests were made at Pipe Tank, Swedru Junction, Mahodwe and Kwansakrom all suburbs of Agona Swedru.
After police investigations, seven were freed including a pregnant woman while eight were put before court.
Inspector S. Opoku Mensah had told the court earlier that the vehicle to convey the eight suspects had broken down and had been sent to Accra for repairs.
The prosecutor further told the court that the police were handicapped with vehicles that would convey suspects to court and that the issue had been forwarded to the Divisional Commander for redress.
He stated that the incidence was not deliberate and that the police did not take delight in delaying the adjudication of cases.
However, in a sharp rebuttal, Lawyer Graham, counsel for the sixth accused, Eyiah Dadzie argued that the attitude of the police was very worrying.
“When suspects are convicted, they would get vehicles to convey them to prison but when they are to transport suspects to court, they always complain of broken-down vehicles,” he stressed.
He indicated that the sixth accused was innocent as he had gone to where he was arrested to bath.
According to him, no narcotic substance was found on him and asked for bail for his client but his request was not granted.
The case has been adjourned to January 11,2012.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana School of Law SRC President-elect petitions authorities for relief for referred students
29 seconds -
Promasidor Ghana unveils Onga Mix Tomato Paste, names Diana Hamilton brand ambassador
13 minutes -
‘You admitted the loss, now account for the GH¢22bn’ – Minority hits back at GoldBod CEO
15 minutes -
Gender Department raises alarm over rising teenage pregnancy in Ashanti Region
32 minutes -
GJA@77: Ethical journalism foundation for strong, resilient democracies – UK Deputy High Commissioner
36 minutes -
Police pickup carrying suspects crashes into trotro on KNUST campus, several injured
37 minutes -
AMA Mayor apologises to alleged extortion victim, orders refund
38 minutes -
Akwatia MP defends GoldBod, says IMF report didn’t blame it for losses
41 minutes -
Building community after a merger: What UniMAC’s concord initiative can teach higher education
41 minutes -
UN security official meets GoldBod CEO Sammy Gyamfi
46 minutes -
Two detained after French influencer’s scorched body found in vineyard
47 minutes -
ORAL has been reduced to a tool for political convenience – Kwesi Botchway Jnr
48 minutes -
6 in 10 businesses fail to properly account for VAT – GRA
49 minutes -
US retail giant receives $1bn boost from tariff refunds
57 minutes -
Angélique Kidjo makes history for Africa with star on Hollywood Walk of Fame
57 minutes