Audio By Carbonatix
President Nana Akufo-Addo has stated that as his administration seeks to establish a world-class labour force comparable to any in the world.
He said to achieve this, the concerns of workers in the public sector regarding their remuneration must be addressed.
According to him, an Inter-Ministerial Committee has been established by the Ministries of Employment and Labour Relations and Finance to undertake the review of the Single Spine Pay Policy (SSPP), and to make recommendations for implementation.
"The team is expected to do a thorough review of both public and private sector pay policies, not only in Ghana but also across the globe, to make informed recommendations for implementation,” he said.
He added that “productivity should be taken into consideration in the determination of remuneration for work done by employees in both the public and the private sectors. Whilst we seek to review the remuneration, I continue to count on you, Secretary General, to lead the campaign for a change in attitude to work and increase productivity.”
The President said this when he delivered a speech Tuesday, on the occasion of May Day, at the Baba Yara Sports Stadium, in Kumasi.
ECG Concession
Whilst applauding Organised Labour heartily for the calm industrial climate the country has enjoyed over the last 16 months, President Akufo-Addo also recounted one of the issues that took centre stage last year, i.e. the ECG Concession, and the fear of layoffs of Ghanaian workers.
“You will recall that, in my address, I pledged that the terms of the agreement would be in Ghana’s interest. I am happy to report today the existence of an MOU between organized labour, Energy Ministry and the Employment Ministry, which will ensure that no worker of ECG would be negatively affected or laid off as a result of the coming into effect of the ECG concession,’ he said.
Again, the President stressed that “the majority of shares of the ECG concessionaire, i.e. 51%, after the signing of this agreement, are in the hands of Ghanaians.”
Pensions
President Akufo-Addo said government through the Finance and Employment Ministries has with the co-operation of the TUC, ensured the smooth transfer of ¢3.1 billion of Tier 2 pension funds into the custodial accounts of the pension schemes of labour unions.
“Our concern has been to ensure that the Pension Funds are secured ahead of their retirement. Persons who have also been nominated to chair these Schemes are well equipped and possess the necessary experience in the management of the affairs of the Schemes,” he said.
Workers, the President indicated, can be assured that their contributions, and accompanying investment returns, are safe, and would be promptly disbursed as and when they retire from active service.
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
12 minutes -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
32 minutes -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
36 minutes -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
38 minutes -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
43 minutes -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
58 minutes -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
1 hour -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
1 hour -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
1 hour -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
2 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
2 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
2 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
3 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
3 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
3 hours