Audio By Carbonatix
THE world football governing body, FIFA, will next week appoint the two figures who will play key roles in the efforts to banish corruption from the soccer governing body, a decision that was originally due to be taken in May.
The FIFA Executive Committee will hold a special meeting on July 17 to confirm the nominations for chairmen of the two chambers of its recently reformed ethics committee, FIFA said in a statement yesterday. The meeting will also discuss its recent decision to allow a team representing the former Serbian province of Kosovo to play friendly international matches.
FIFA Congress has already approved the decision to split the ethics committee, which in the last two years has been responsible for investigating several cases of corruption. These related to the contest for the hosting of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups and last year’s FIFA presidential election.
Though the ethics committee has banned a number of high-ranking officials, including FIFA presidential candidate, Mohamed bin Hammam, who has been kicked out of the game for life, it has been criticised for not taking the initiative and only acting in the wake of media reports.
Top international prosecutor, Luis Moreno-Ocampo, best known for pursuing war criminals, is expected to head the chamber responsible for investigating cases. The other chamber will be responsible for judging cases and handing out sanctions.
The chairman proposed by the FIFA Independent Governance Committee declined the offer for health reasons in May, delaying the reform process. The members of the two chambers will also be confirmed next Tuesday, FIFA said.
However, further reforms proposed by the governance committee, headed by Prof. Mark Pieth from the Basel Institute for Governance, will only be put before FIFA’s next congress in May 2013.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Galamsey could trigger major health crisis within five years — Medical experts warn
3 minutes -
Defending champions SUSEC, Twene Amanfo SHTS secure Bono Zone 2 spots in 2026 NPSC
16 minutes -
ICU-Ghana General Secretary Morgan Ayawine named Africa’s Most Respected CEO in Labour Leadership
17 minutes -
GTEC orders university administrators back to work, gives VCs 48 hours to name defiers
25 minutes -
Chief arrested for allegedly engaging in illegal mining in Tano North
28 minutes -
Fighting fires, fighting for breath: The hidden health toll on Ghana’s firefighters – and the support that still falls short
34 minutes -
Presbyterian Church of Ghana clarifies role of Christians in stool/skin offices
37 minutes -
‘There is no emergency’ – Godfred Dame criticises vacation hearing in Abdul-Hamid case
41 minutes -
Eco SIM and sustainability, making mobile technology greener
54 minutes -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Building a future-ready organization
54 minutes -
The Hunger Project-Ghana commissions ICT Centre at Domi Achiansa Epicenter to bridge digital divide.
55 minutes -
Nabdam: Police arrest 14 for cultivating and distributing ‘wee’
55 minutes -
Afro-Arab Drive Green expands EV fleet to boost jobs through energy transition
59 minutes -
Sunyani Paramount Chief warns chiefs against cemetery land sales and encroachment
59 minutes -
Trump envoy Kushner arrives in Israel after rare Hamas talks on Gaza peace plan
60 minutes