Audio By Carbonatix
The Confederation of African Football (Caf) has instructed Berekum Chelsea play their Champions League game against Al Ahly at the Accra Sports Stadium on Sunday.
The directive was in response to an official request made by the club to have their Match Day four tie moved to the Baba Yara Stadium in Kumasi after an earlier request to have them reverted to their favourite Berekum Golden City Park was flatly rejected.
The news comes as a blow to the dethroned Ghana Premier League champions as they were hoping to have numerous of their fans from Berekum travel to support the team in Kumasi for proximity purposes.
Chelsea played their opening home game in the 3-2 win over Zamalek in Accra but attendance to the stadium was far from convincing.
The club incurred several loses as a result of the low patronage in their first and only home game thus far in the continental showpiece, hence the move to have them play in Kumasi where they estimated to have a far better turn up.
But Caf has declined their request, instructing them to honour the match against the Egyptian giants in the capital.
Reasons for Caf’s decision is not readily known but the club says it has no other option but to adhere to the directives.
“I can confirm we have been told to play in Accra and therefore we have no other option but to obey,” Chelsea’s Chief Executive Officer Nana Kwame Nketia told GHANAsoccernet.com.
Caf’s fresh decision fuels the growing suspicion that The Blues are being frustrated in favour of the ‘big boys’ in their group.
“I don’t know why they (Caf) are refusing to let us play in Berekum for we have satisfied all the requirements,” the club’s Accra Representative Nana Oduro-Sarfo had earlier told Accra-based Asempa FM.
“We have constructed the media center, a doping room and all that is required of a stadium but yet still they say we cannot play there.
“The GFA has done their bit especially the President (Kwasi Nyantakyi) but for some strange reasons we are not being allowed to play there.”
Chelsea need to beat Ahlyin Accra to revive their ambitions of making the last four.
They were crushed 4-1 in the first leg encounter in the game played behind closed doors at the Cairo International Stadium barely a fortnight ago.
The 2010 Ghana Premier League champions currently lie third in Group B on inferior goal difference to DR Congo’s TP Mazembe with Ahly leading haven won all three previous games.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Berekuso chief appeals to Mahama over deplorable Katesi-Brekusu-Dome-Kwabenya road
13 seconds -
Freda Kingful Abraham Cudjoe: The visionary founder building a creative legacy through Impakers Creative Hub
4 minutes -
Tanker drivers suspend strike after BOST commits to fix Kumasi depot challenges
7 minutes -
Photos: Stonebwoy’s BHIM Festival at OVO Arena Wembley, London
15 minutes -
BoG identifies $4.8bn annual SME financing gap, pushes digital data-driven lending
29 minutes -
Labone bank robbery suspect remanded
33 minutes -
NTC launches 2026 Ghana Teacher Prize to celebrate outstanding educators
33 minutes -
Hanan Abdul-Hamid cannot be forced to face trial without lawyer — Dame
42 minutes -
MTTD to make Accra model city for safe riding – ACP Dr Samuel Sasu Mensah
42 minutes -
NPP Upper West eyes 2028 comeback; dismisses vote-buying allegations in regional executive elections
49 minutes -
Minaata Moomin defeats Nancy Dery in NPP Upper West Regional Women’s Organiser election
51 minutes -
Constituency Games will take Mahama’s ‘Reset Ghana sports agenda’ to every community – Samson Deen
51 minutes -
Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov praises Kwame Nkrumah’s legacy during meeting with Ablakwa
52 minutes -
Bleoo 2G alumni hand over Beatrice Lokko Memorial Eco Park
54 minutes -
‘I will not be available’ – Godfred Dame rejects vacation hearing in Hanan trial
56 minutes