Audio By Carbonatix
General Secretary of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Justin Frimpong Kodua, has strongly criticised the Electoral Commission (EC) over its decision to rerun parliamentary elections in 19 polling stations within the Ablekuma North constituency.
Speaking in an interview on Asempa FM’s Ekosi Sen show, Mr. Kodua described the EC’s move as inconsistent and lacking credibility.
“The EC has a lot of questions to answer. Their U-turn doesn’t add up. What we were told earlier is that only three polling stations were outstanding after collation, and now they are saying 19. This is clearly an afterthought,” he said.
Mr Kodua questioned the basis of the Commission’s sudden change in position.
He explained that EC officials had informed all political parties during the collation process that only three polling stations had issues, and pink sheets had already been distributed to party agents.
“We know for a fact that some of the polling stations included in the 19 were not part of the ones initially said to be outstanding,” he alleged.
He warned that such abrupt decisions and perceived inconsistencies from the EC could have dangerous implications.
“If we allow this, it could encourage political actors to resort to violence and disruptions during elections just to get a rerun,” he cautioned.
The Electoral Commission, on Wednesday, July 2, 2025, announced that the rerun would take place on Friday, July 11, following months of disagreement between the NPP and the National Democratic Congress (NDC) over the results of the 2024 parliamentary elections in Ablekuma North.
The seat is being hotly contested between Nana Akua Afriyie of the NPP and Ewurabena Aubynn of the NDC.
In the meantime, the NPP has secured an interlocutory injunction from the Accra High Court to halt the EC’s planned rerun, arguing that the commission is acting in breach of an earlier court directive.
Latest Stories
-
Fire guts Saboba Hospital’s Children Ward
2 hours -
Interior Ministry extends aptitude test dates for WASSCE applicants in 2025/26 security services recruitment
2 hours -
National Investment Bank donates GH₵1m to support GAF barracks redevelopment project
3 hours -
Gomoa-East demolition: 14 suspects remanded by Kasoa Ofaakor Court
4 hours -
Divers recover bodies of seven Chinese tourists from bottom of Lake Baikal
5 hours -
From windstorm to resilience: How Wa school is growing climate protection
5 hours -
Reclaiming the Garden City: Dr. Kwame Adinkrah urges Kumasi to rein in billboard proliferation
6 hours -
Bursar of Ghanata SHS arrested for alleged diversion of student food supplies
6 hours -
Trump says he will increase global tariffs to 15%
6 hours -
Bogoso-Prestea mine records first gold pour after 24-month shutdown
6 hours -
Ghana–ECOWAS talks end with renewed push for women and youth political inclusion
7 hours -
Interior Minister receives Hudai Foundation food donation for prison inmates during Ramadan
7 hours -
UBIDS to benefit from pre-fabricated US$6.6m 1k capacity classroom project
7 hours -
Interior Minister launches Automated Fire Safety Compliance System to enhance public safety
7 hours -
Africa must lead climate intervention conversation – Experts
7 hours
