Audio By Carbonatix
Confederation of African Football President Issa Hayatou should resign following the ‘monstrous’ decision to ban Togo from the next two African Nations Cups, captain Emmanuel Adebayor said yesterday.
Togo quit the tournament when their government recalled the team for three days of mourning, after two members of their delegation were killed in an attack by gunmen in the northern Angolan province of Cabinda on January 8.
CAF banned Togo and fined their soccer association R400 000 on Saturday because their government had interfered in football matters.
“Mr Hayatou did serve Africa but today he must clear off. This decision is monstrous,” Adebayor told French sports daily L’Equipe.
“He is irresponsible. I have the feeling we are not respected.”
Togo Sports Minister Christophe Tchao told Reuters by telephone on Saturday that they would appeal the CAF ban.
An assistant coach and a media officer with the Togo team died in the ambush as the team travelled from Pointe Noire, Congo to the Angolan capital by bus for their opening match.
“Two well respected personalities in African football died, our keeper took three bullets. We did not just wake up in the morning and decide to leave the competition,” Adebayor said.
“If [Cameroon keeper Idriss Carlos] Kameni was the one having been shot or if it was the Ivory Coast team bus that had been attacked, the Nations Cup would have been cancelled.”
The Manchester City striker said the attack, which lasted at least 20 minutes, was still fresh in his memory.
“It is very difficult [to think of football]. Since the attack, I have been having nightmares every night,” he said.
Source: Kickoff.com
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Photos: Vice President commissions 100 new Metro Mass Transit buses
4 minutes -
GNFS rescues seven trapped in crash at Peki-Tsiame
10 minutes -
GNFS rescues trapped driver after cargo truck overturns at Fante New Town
16 minutes -
Photos from JoyNews National Dialogue on youth and climate change
31 minutes -
Woman accused of threatening President Mahama granted GH¢1 million bail
39 minutes -
One dead, 4 injured in articulated truck collision at Assin Nsuta
48 minutes -
To Nationalise or Transform? Joy Business Hosts Roundtable on Ghana’s Extractive Future
52 minutes -
NACOC partners UPSA-RCC to train enumerators for baseline study on substance use among youth
58 minutes -
Kay Codjoe Writes: The dangerous romance between inciteful extremism and “free speech”
1 hour -
From Ghana to Canada: The rising influence of Ghanaian scholars opening global doors for students
1 hour -
Gender Ministry backs Black Maidens ahead of crucial World Cup qualifiers
1 hour -
Many are called, but hostel fees have chosen few
1 hour -
8 suspects arrested in killing of queen mother at Atebubu
2 hours -
Raúl Castro indictment threatens to ignite war between US and Cuba
2 hours -
2026 Africa Bitcoin Day marked in Accra
2 hours