Audio By Carbonatix
Former Black Stars head coach, Charles Kwablan Akonnor, has called on the Ghana Football Association (GFA) and Ghanaians to be behind Chris Hughton ahead of the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON).
Hughton came under immense pressure before Ghana started the 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifiers last month following defeats in the international friendlies against Mexico and the United States of America.
However, he was maintained as the gaffer with the Black Stars winning one of the two games in the qualifiers while losing the other against Comoros.
The uncertainty around Hughton continues, but Akonnor believes the Irish trainer needs time to get the team performing at the AFCON.
"I know what he is going through. It's a difficult time. Sometimes, you can get confused especially when the whole nation comes at you," the former coach said in an interview with Joy Sports.
"I know what he is going through. It's a difficult time"
— #JoySports (@JoySportsGH) December 13, 2023
C.K Akonnor says the GFA and Ghanaians should calm down and support Chris Hughton ahead of the 2023 AFCON.#JoySports pic.twitter.com/kcWkdG1cX3
"We need to be calm. There is a need for calmness to prepare well, get focused and have a strategy as to how we can go into this tournament.
"It's a big deal for us as a football nation but we need to calm down and allow him to prepare the team adequately so we can go to this tournament and do well."
The 2023 AFCON will kick off on January 13 and conclude on February 11, 2024.
Black Stars are set to face record champions Egypt, Mozambique, and Cape Verde in the group stage.
Latest Stories
-
“It is worrying” – Prof. Akosa sounds alarm over failing medical ethics
9 minutes -
Panic in Sunyani: Chiefs to perform rituals after mystery deaths of two successive headteachers
12 minutes -
World Cup reality check: Mexico beat fringe Black Stars 2-0 in Puebla friendly
21 minutes -
Black Stars lose 2-0 to Mexico in pre-World Cup friendly in Puebla
1 hour -
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
1 hour -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
2 hours -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
3 hours -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
4 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
5 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
5 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
5 hours -
Lupita Nyong’o rejects criticism of Helen of Troy role
6 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
6 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
7 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
7 hours