The opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) has challenged President Akufo-Addo to publicly address the allegations of bribery and corruption levelled against him.
Lawyer Kakra Essamuah, the Communications Director of the party at a press briefing dubbed “The Mother of All Corruption” Wednesday, prayed the media to ensure accountability from the President.
“Because of the seriousness of the allegations contained in the video, the President must personally speak to it. There are resident Ghanaians that have also been named in there.
“The President as an accused person is as a demand, expected to speak in order to absorb himself.
His comment follows a viral video claiming that President Akufo-Addo has taken a $40,000 bribe to keep an appointee of the previous administration, Director of Urban Roads, Abbas Aworlu, in office.
Mr Essamuah said the first gentleman “needs to provide answers to why he took ¢40,000 as party donation or as a bribe”.
Describing the President as a narcissist, he said Nana Akufo-Addo has on the basis of dishonesty and non-transparency, lost credibility and lying to Ghanaians to keep staying in office.
“What pleases him is what he does. He doesn’t do anything to please us. At the moment, he has lost all moral authority, and that is why he cannot gather the courage to come and provide answers to questions concerning his tenure,” he said.
Also speaking under the conference was Member of Parliament for Ketu South, Fifi Fiavi Kwetey, who was of the view that the Akufo-Addo government is gradually destroying the soul and social fibre of the country with its “lies, deception and hypocrisy”.
“Hypocrisy is graver than collecting bribe. The collecting of bribe is bad enough, but we have on top of it, a presidency that simply is making sure that hypocrisy and deception becomes the order of the day, then this country is in trouble, we are doomed” he said.
But the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) has rubbished the claims.
Dr Mustapha Hamid, who is the Zongo Minister said it is spurious the NDC is making such an allegation describing what is claimed to be a bribe as a campaign donation.
He said because the NDC has no campaign message they are resorting to such tactics to throw dust into the eyes of Ghanaians.
Dr Hamid called on Ghanaians to focus on what the President is doing to develop the country and not waste time on the NDC which is exhibiting its incompetence in grand style.
- Woman ordered to refund $80k after she refuses to marry man who paid her fees
- Suspected food poisoning: 5 die after eating waakye
- Patience Ozokwor explains why she didn’t remarry after husband’s death
- Government reaches deal with Securities Industry Association to sign up for Domestic Debt Exchange
- Ghanaian students on government scholarship stranded in UK over delayed stipend
- Court orders for pregnancy test of woman convicted in ¢50k theft before sentence
- 4 persons injured in ghastly accident on Accra-Kumasi Highway
- Full Report: Technical Committee on exclusion of individual bondholders from Debt Exchange Programme
- Classroom Mothers: Schoolgirl donating blood discovers she’s 3 months pregnant
- Individual bondholders petition Togbe Afede over Domestic Debt Exchange Programme
- Ghana’s reserves ended 2022 at 2.7 months of import cover; but trade surplus hits $2.75bn
- IMF presses Ghana to stop borrowing from its central bank
- Cedi depreciated by 19.1% to dollar in January 2023 – BoG
- A Google employee of 11 years and his wife shell-shocked over retrenchment
- Ghana’s public debt stood at ¢575.7bn in November 2022 – BoG
- There is a need for proper accountability of climate change funds – Dr Segtub
- Playback: Joy Prime’s BMPS Show: Is flirting disrespectful to your partner?
- What if Muntaka is appointed party’s campaign manager – NDC Executive Member on Minority leadership shake-up
- #SomethingWickedAwards live on Hitz FM
- Climate change funds should be used more for adaptation and mitigation efforts – Penplusbytes
- 1 suspect arrested in Krofrom gang attack
- Only 1 person died from suspected food poisoning at Oyibi – FDA
- UMB launches 2 new life insurance products with SIC Life
- Gang burns down six-bedroom house in reprisal attack at Krofrom
- 7 shot dead at Jerusalem synagogue