If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it — right? Well, some of you Apple product users may not have a choice this weekend.
Apple is warning owners of older iPhones and iPads that if they don’t update their devices to the latest iOS software by Sunday, they won’t be able to connect to the internet.
iPhone and iPad products from 2012 and earlier will need the update before midnight UTC on November 3 in order to maintain accurate GPS location and continue using the App Store, iCloud, email and web browsing, according to Apple.
This is all because of the GPS time rollover issue, according to Apple, something that happens about every 19 years when GPS devices need to reset in order to accurately measure time and dates, according to the Office of Electricity at the Department of Energy.
Apple said during the last reset on April 6, GPS-enabled products from other manufacturers were affected.
So if you have an iPhone 5, 4, or a cellular-enabled iPad mini, iPad 2 or a third-generation iPad, this is for you.
The updated software version number should be 10.3.4 or 9.3.6, depending on your device.
iOS 10.3.4: iPhone 5 and iPad (4th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular
iOS 9.3.6: iPhone 4s, iPad mini (1st generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular (CDMA models only), iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular
If you’re not sure which version your iPhone or iPad has, follow these directions:
1. Open the Settings app
2. Tap General, then tap About
3. Look for the number next to Software Version
If you’re not able to update your devices before Sunday, Apple said you’ll have to back up and restore using a computer because over-the-air software updates and iCloud Backup won’t work anymore.
- “We shall also be blessed with Ghana Miracle” – Finance Minister speaks on economy recovery
- GFA suspends 2022/23 Ghana Premier League over court injunction
- Disregard statement declaring Friday, Sept 30 as a holiday – Oyibi Divisional Council
- ‘Impugning the motives of Judges is actually undermining integrity of Judiciary’ – Judges and Magistrates Association
- UTAG, 3 other university labour unions threaten to go on strike on October 5
- GFA suspends AshantiGold SC for dealing with banned club president and son
- Ghana will transition from fossil fuel to renewable energy by 2070 – Bawumia
- Step aside, find out if agency obtained right to use Ayat’s content – Copyright Attorney tells GTA, Tourism Ministry
- Nord Stream: Sweden finds new leak in Russian gas pipeline
- GTA boss names agency in copyright feud with Kirani Ayat, reveals how footage was obtained
- Emmanuel Agyemang Badu invited for CHAN draw
- R. Kelly to pay $300,000 to victim in sex crimes
- International Day of Awareness of Food Loss and Waste 2022 – “Stop food waste for the people and the planet”
- QLAC MD is new President of Association of Insurers and Reinsurers
- 11 takeaways from GFA decision to suspend ongoing Premier League season
- We will still be a prime supplier of Mercedes-Benz services in Ghana – Silver Star
- Ghana to transition from fossil to renewable energy by 2070 – Bawumia
- Cedi registers unprecedented weekly decline in trading against dollar as demand surges
- EJF releases film on net free seas project
- Full text: Ursula Owusu-Ekuful’s speech at 2022 ITU conference
- CBG commissions ultra-modern SME centre at Kokomlemle, relocates Trade Fair branch to Ultimate Height Building in La
- Ghana reaffirms commitment to strategic direction set by ITU to ensure universal connectivity
- Fuse ODG also cites GTA for unauthorised use of his content
- Floods kill one at Anwomaso-Bebre in Ashanti Region
- Cal Asset Management introduces 2 new investment products