Government has declared Monday, April 24 as a public holiday, as Muslims celebrate the annual Eid-ul-Fitr.
The Ministry of Interior, in a statement, on Tuesday, said the Eid-ul-Fitr celebration falls on Saturday and as such the President through an Executive Instrument declared April 24 as a public holiday.
“The general public is hereby notified that Saturday, 22nd April 2023, marks Eid-ul-Fitr which is a statutory holiday.”
“However, in view of the fact that 22nd April falls on a Saturday, His Excellency, the President of the Republic of Ghana, has by Executive Instrument (E), in accordance with Section 2 of the Public Holidays and Commemorative Days Act, (Act 601) declared Monday, 24th April 2023 as an additional public holiday and should be observed as such throughout the country.”
This year’s month-long fasting by Muslims started on March 22, 2023, to mark the ninth month of the Islamic calendar.
Muslims believe the Holy Quran was revealed in Ramadan and throughout the month, they fast and engage in other rituals to get closer to Allah.
Eid-ul-Fitr is an important religious holiday celebrated by Muslims worldwide to mark the end of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of fasting (sawm).
The day marks the conclusion of the 29 or 30 days of dawn-to-sunset fasting.
- Asking Domelevo to proceed on leave unconstitutional – Supreme Court
- Supreme Court strikes out law that allowed government to impose restrictions during Covid-19 pandemic
- Prof. Ama Ata Aidoo passes on aged 81
- M.anifest joins father to celebrate his grandmother’s 98th birthday
- Abedi Pele watches Jordan Ayew face off with Andre Ayew at Selhurst Park
- Ama Ata Aidoo’s iconic 1987 interview that shook the world
- SIM card deactivation: Crowds besiege NIA centres for Ghana Card
- I’m sad presidency is at the forefront of doing unconstitutional things – Domelevo on Supreme Court ruling
- Supreme Court ruling comes as a very big birthday present to me – Domelevo
- AngloGold incident: 79 illegal miners out of underground mine
- Pupils walking to school affecting access to education in Adaklu District
- UG’s WACCI has been incredible in efforts at improving Africa’s food security – AGRA Boss
- CBOD is not opposed to gold-for-oil, BOST managing strategic stocks says CEO
- Fire guts chain of mechanic shops at Asokwa in Kumasi
- Sleep well Aunty Ama Ata Aidoo and Thank You, Trudy
- Supreme Court dismisses case against regulation of plant breeders
- Six women rescued in Nigeria ‘baby factory’ raid
- Theophilus Acheampong: Ghana and the IMF have struck a deal, but hard choices lie ahead
- Today’s front pages: Thursday, June 1, 2023
- OMCs start increasing fuel prices; Goil selling a litre of petrol, diesel for ¢12.45
- Nigeria’s fuel subsidy: How the new president has shocked the nation
- Debt ceiling deal: US House overwhelmingly passes bill
- The Truman Show: Has a film ever predicted the future so accurately?
- Ericsson discusses collaborative opportunities for digital advancement in Ghana
- Doctor fired for prescribing ice cream and video games to child with sore throat