Audio By Carbonatix
Arsenal have left Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri out of the squad for Saturday's match against Newcastle with both close to moves away from the club.
Fabregas is expected to move to Barcelona for ÂŁ35m with Nasri set for Manchester City for about ÂŁ23m.
Despite their absences, Wenger refused to be drawn on the speculation over the midfielders' futures.
"I expect nobody to leave. There is no news. If there is news, I promise I will give it," he said.
When asked if he therefore expected the pair to stay, Wenger replied that that was "a good conclusion from my statement".
However, earlier on the club's official website, Wenger admitted that Fabregas' future could be decided before the start of the Premier League season on Saturday.
"That is completely the truth. We hope it will be sorted out very quickly one way or the other. We'll know very quickly," he said.
Fabregas has not appeared for the Gunners in pre-season after suffering a hamstring injury, although Wenger has admitted his skipper has been unsettled by the interest from Barcelona.
Wenger dismissed the suggestion, however, that Fabregas had refused to play for him.
And despite Nasri starting and playing for 65 minutes in France's game against Chile on Wednesday, Wenger insisted the 24-year-old was suffering from an illness.
"Cesc is not on strike. Cesc is not injured, he's not match fit. I don't want to go any deeper than that," he added.
"Nasri went for the national team, he was sick, and he has not completely recovered yet. There are no other aspects why he is not in the squad."
Robin van Persie will be captain for the side's first match of the season against the Tynesiders on Saturday in Fabregas' absence.
Without Fabregas and Nasri, Wenger will start his Premier League campaign with a shortage of personnel in midfield.
Jack Wilshere, Abou Diaby and Theo Walcott are suffering injuries, while Denilson has returned to former club Sao Paulo on loan.
After the visit to St James' Park, Arsenal play Liverpool and Manchester United in the Premier League with two legs of their Champions League qualifier against Udinese completing their first five matches.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s Jada Yankey clocks new personal best at AP Race London International
3 minutes -
GPL 2025/26: Berekum Chelsea end season on high with win over Bechem
7 minutes -
Alleged shooting of chief’s brother by galamseyers triggers tension at Gwira Ampansie
24 minutes -
Livestream: The Probe examines New Decentralisation Policy
33 minutes -
Enterprise Insurance pays over GH¢280m in claims in 2025
48 minutes -
Ato Forson congratulates Benin’s former finance minister on inauguration as President
1 hour -
GOIL announces GH¢0.06 dividend per share for investors
1 hour -
BoG policy rate hold confirms inflation to trend upwards – IC Insights
1 hour -
Photos: Ablakwa meets Ghanaian community in Pretoria
1 hour -
Rising fuel costs pose risk to Ghana’s inflation outlook – Deloitte
2 hours -
T-bills: Government records 5.9% undersubscription, but interest rates decline marginally
2 hours -
Government will not tolerate shoddy road projects – Roads Minister
2 hours -
25/26 GPL: Vision end campaign with win over Aduana
2 hours -
GPL 2025/26: Young Apostles survive relegation with win over SamartexÂ
3 hours -
Gunmen allegedly kidnap teenager at Kabulya near Bimbilla, demand ransom
3 hours