Audio By Carbonatix
A Georgia man was arrested by the FBI for defrauding the Atlanta-based company he worked for by allegedly lying about having the coronavirus, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Georgia said in a press release Thursday.
Santwon Antonio Davis, 34, allegedly faked a coronavirus doctor’s note, prompting his employer, an unidentified Fortune 500 company, to close the business for sanitizing.
“The defendant caused unnecessary economic loss to his employer and distress to his coworkers and their families,” U.S. Attorney Byung J. “BJay” Pak said in a statement. “We will take quick action through the Georgia COVID-19 Task Force to put a stop to criminals preying on Georgia companies and the public with Coronavirus-related fraud schemes.”
The company lost around $100,000 from closing the business and continuing to pay its employees Several of Davis’ coworkers also unnecessarily quarantined.
“Scammers continue to take advantage of the COVID-19 pandemic through a variety of means,” Chris Hacker, Special Agent in Charge of FBI Atlanta, said in a statement. “We receive numerous complaints every day and this case is a reminder that we remain vigilant in detecting, investigating and prosecuting any wrongdoing related to the crisis.”
Davis has previously served a total of 18 months for three prison sentences since 2006, for theft, criminal damage to property and trespassing, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.
The FBI is investigating the case.
Latest Stories
-
What Is Wrong With Us: The roads that keep counting our dead
3 minutes -
MTN condemns recent xenophobic attacks on Ghanaians in South Africa
7 minutes -
Philip Nai: What happens at your front desk can make or break your brand
18 minutes -
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
2 hours -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
2 hours -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
2 hours -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
2 hours -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
2 hours -
Supreme Court to rule on injunction application on legal vacation today
2 hours -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
2 hours -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
2 hours -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
2 hours -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund review
2 hours -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
2 hours -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
2 hours