Audio By Carbonatix
Christian Atsu has expressed his delight after signing for Chelsea in the just ended transfer window.
The Ghana midfielder's long-term future had been the subject of much speculation during the close season.
But he penned a five-year deal with the Premier League side and was immediately loaned out to Dutch top flight club Vitesse Arnhem.
The 21-year-old is capable of playing either on the left wing or as a support striker.
He is the most talked about player in Ghana at the moment and many are underwhelmed by his latest move.
Atsu is back in Ghana preparing for Friday's World Cup qualifier against Zambia in Kumasi.
There is a strong feeling among fans and pundits alike that the deal does not necessarily enhance the career of a player who already has 16 international caps.
But Atsu told BBC Sport that Chelsea have done the right thing by loaning him to Vitesse.
"I'm happy because as a player you always want to be playing to stay in good shape," said Porto's player of the year in 2010/11.
He said he is fully focused on making the Vitesse loan move count and force his way into Jose Mourinho's plans.
"When Chelsea came for me, I saw a good opportunity to work with a massive club and a great coach.
"I know I have to prove myself at Vitesse first and I'm determined to do just that."
He said countryman Michael Essien's presence at Chelsea played a part in his decision to go to Stamford Bridge.
"I have a lot of respect for Essien because playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world is not easy.
"I know that I've a long way to go to get anywhere close to what he's done.
"Hopefully, one day I'll be mentioned in the same breadth as Essien and Didier Drogba."
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
GoldBod: Day of reckoning will come – Afenyo-Markin
9 seconds -
In Photos: Defence Ministry welcomes Kenneth Gilbert Adjei as new Defence Minister
10 minutes -
CSA fines EY Ghana GH¢360,000 for providing cybersecurity services without a licence
18 minutes -
Bonsu Baah scores and assists in Al Qadsiah big win in Saudi King’s Cup
18 minutes -
The Galamsey war and GWL’s fictitious and inaccurate rebuttal
32 minutes -
Afenyo-Markin demands answers over alleged GH¢22bn GoldBod loss
32 minutes -
GoldBod ‘Losses’: We’re not ignorant, we know our job – Afenyo-Markin
36 minutes -
GoldBod cannot hide behind agency role to escape accountability – Afenyo-Markin
47 minutes -
‘You don’t get to keep the fees and disown the costs’ – Afenyo-Markin challenges GoldBod
51 minutes -
GNPC turns 40, targets oil production recovery and $3.5bn fresh investment
1 hour -
Minority will speak boldly on GoldBod losses despite attacks – Afenyo-Markin vows
1 hour -
Moody’s upgrades EBID rating to B1, citing stronger finances and shareholder support
1 hour -
GoldBod cannot make losses trading gold – Afenyo-Markin
1 hour -
Papaye, KFC and Pizzaman customers among most targeted as TrustGH uncovers nearly 1,000 scam numbers cloning Google business profiles of major food chains
2 hours -
2026 U20 WWC: ‘We are in a tough group’ – Black Princesses’ Linda Owusu Ansah
2 hours