International Human Rights Commission (IHRC) to Africa Abu Zein has called on the leadership of the African Union to intensify its efforts at promoting effective and quality Human Rights in Africa and for Africans in the diaspora.
Consequently, he has given the assurance of his unflinching support and a strong collaboration between the International Human Rights Commission, the African Commission on Human and People’s Rights and the African Union to accelerate a progressive and prosperous Africa.
In his statement to mark Africa Union Day today, the IHRC Ambassador said, “I extend my highest commendation to the Africa Union on the occasion of the celebration of Africa Day to mark the establishment of the continental Union since 25 May 1963.
“I see it as legendary as the foundation of the Organisation of African Unity (OAU) has transformed into the African Union, which encompasses the current capability to lead in the realisation of the Agenda 2063 in the spirit of Pan Africanism.
“The Africa Day is intended to celebrate and acknowledge the successes of the Organisation of African Unity (OAU now the AU) from its creation on May 25, 1963, in the fight against colonialism and apartheid, as well as the progress that Africa has made while reflecting upon the common challenges that the continent faces in a global environment.”
He added “To me, African Day is timely and commemorative since it affords the people of Africa and the leadership of the African Union to reflect on our past, document our achievements and prepare adequately for the future towards the realization of Agenda 2063.
“Human Rights can contribute immensely towards the achievements of the African Union hence together with my team at the International Human Rights Commission Africa Office pay glowing tribute to the establishment of the African Commission on Human and People’s Rights (ACHPR) with its secretariat headquartered in Banjul (Gambia).
“The ACHPR, established based on Article 30 of the Charter and was inaugurated in November 1987 is commissioned to interpret the Charter, as well as investigate individual complaints.
“The African Charter is a human rights document made up of 68 articles carved up into four sections namely Human and Peoples’ Rights; Duties; Procedure of the Commission; and Applicable Principles.
“It merges the three clusters of rights, namely, civil and political rights, economic, social, and cultural rights, and group and people’s rights.
“It enforces obligations on individual members of each African society and connects the ideas of human rights, people’s rights, and duties on people.”
The IHRC Ambassador to pointed out that “As Africa celebrates its Africa Day, I wish to humbly call on the leadership of the African Union to intensify its efforts at promoting effective and quality Human Rights in Africa and for Africans in the diaspora.
“I assure you of my unflinching support and a strong collaboration between the International Human Rights Commission, the African Commission on Human and People’s Rights and the African Union to accelerate a progressive and prosperous Africa.
“Permit me to express my deepest of wishes to the African People as we celebrate the milestones achieved towards continental unity and human advancement.”
- Peter Nanfuri’s name will be written in gold in Ghana’s history – Akufo-Addo eulogizes former IGP
- Social media reacts to Bawumia’s ‘One student, One laptop’ announcement
- Supreme Court dismisses land ownership claim by Teshie family
- Playback: Akufo-Addo addressed Ghanaians on Covid-19, IMF
- ‘This too has passed’ – Akufo-Addo on Covid-19 pandemic
- Independent Power Producers reject government bid to restructure $1.58bn debt
- Stop insulting citizens if you want to be president again – Nana Akomea tells Mahama
- IMF bailout won’t immediately end Ghana’s difficulties – Akufo-Addo
- Legon Cities drag Hearts of Oak into relegation dogfight
- Independent Power Producers threaten to cut power supply by June 30
- Congestion at Ho Teaching Hospital emergency unit hindering service delivery
- Tourist boat sinks on Lake Maggiore killing four – reports
- Cattle and sheep easier to control than Nigerians – Buhari
- MASLOC supports complementary education agency in Yendi with logistics
- KGL Foundation, Ho Teaching Hospital join hands to save lives through blood donation drive
- Ukraine war: Fresh attacks on Kyiv after intense drone barrage
- Ghana Journalists Association inaugurates functional committees
- Nigeria swears in new president Bola Tinubu
- Until we receive our monies; we won’t cook – school feeding caterers
- Chelsea appoint Mauricio Pochettino as new head coach
- Strike still in force amid talks with government – JUSAG insists
- I either stay objective on Sarkodie issues or go silent – Kobby Kyei
- NPP flagbearership race: Supporters pick form for Dr Afriyie Akoto
- Yamoah Cadman wraps up 2023 NCAA-II outdoor season as All-American, other Ghanaians impress
- UBA Ghana shares its rich culture on Africa Day