Vice-President Dr. Mahmudu Bawumia is expected to speak on the country’s decision to seek International Monetary Fund (IMF) bailout on Thursday, July 14.
This was disclosed by a leading member of the New Patriotic Party, Gabby Otchere-Darko in a tweet on Tuesday.
Dr. Mahmudu Bawumia will be speaking as a Guest of Honour at the official launch of an event organised by the Accra Business School and South East Technological University in Ireland.
The Vice President is expected to speak on Ghana’s decision to go to the IMF at this event. pic.twitter.com/lA9sZ1p2Kn— Gabby Otchere-Darko (@GabbyDarko) July 5, 2022
Meanwhile, a delegation from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) will hold a series of meetings with government officials on Ghana’s economic recovery programme, beginning Wednesday July 6.
The meeting is taking place after Ghana announced it would engage the Fund for assistance.
President Akufo-Addo on Friday authorised the Ministry of Finance to formally engage the Fund for a Balance of Payment support.
A statement released by the Ministry of Finance on Monday said the IMF delegation would arrive in the country on Tuesday.
According to the Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, the Bank of Ghana (BoG) needs about $3 billion to shore up its buffer.
Out of the figure, he says there is already $1 billion available.
“Already, you recall that the Finance Minister initially indicated that there were arrangements to get about $2 billion, out of which there is $1 billion available. Parliament has to approve for us to receive so that the cedi does not depreciate further.
“We have a shore up of our reserves to be able to meet the liquidity and debt servicing obligations even as our domestic measures will get better. You have the window to start talking to the Fund,” he said in an interview on The Probe on Sunday, July 3.
- Danadams Pharmaceuticals and CEO in court over alleged fraud and forgery
- Disregard statement declaring Friday, Sept 30 as a holiday – Oyibi Divisional Council
- GFA suspends 2022/23 Ghana Premier League over court injunction
- Man arrested for threatening to release nude videos of late brother’s wife
- ‘I’m extremely regretful’ – KiDi apologises for ‘inappropriate and unkind’ old tweets
- Land acquisition: Here is what you missed on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show
- T Bills, short-term securities will not be affected by Ghana’s debt restructuring – US-based Associate Professor
- Pastor jailed for life after planning coup and black genocide
- Every single day Akufo-Addo remains President, the country drifts into peril – Dr Amoako Baah
- We will still be a prime supplier of Mercedes-Benz services in Ghana – Silver Star
- West African leaders in Mali over detained Ivorians
- NCA, AG dragged to court over directives on SIM re-registration
- Adidas row: Morocco demands change to Algerian jersey design
- Linguistics Association of Ghana explores ways to make language socially relevant
- Ghana’s export to Burkina Faso increased to $276million in 2021
- Book containing late Prof Mills’ SONA christened “Atta Mills Speaks” launched
- Trevor Noah is leaving ‘The Daily Show’
- Banking sector crisis was not systemic – Alhassan Andani
- Banking Sector Clean-up: We should have allowed institutional disciplines to work – Alhassan Andani
- Banking sector crisis: State institutions must raise red flags at the right time – Alhassan Andani
- GRASAG launches Graduate Research Trust Fund
- British Airways flight A380 makes technical stop at KIA
- Ghana, Korea $8 million rice project kicks off in Assin North
- SIM re-registration: National Security has warned Akufo-Addo against blockage – Deputy Minority Chief Whip
- We are engaging ECG to fix anomaly with electricity purchase – PURC