Audio By Carbonatix
West Ham have completed the signing of striker Benni McCarthy from Blackburn Rovers for an undisclosed fee.
A deal for McCarthy was agreed last week but the move was reported to have been held up by work permit issues.
However, the 32-year-old South Africa international has now signed a contract until 2012 and he said: "I am very pleased and extremely happy.
"I am looking forward to making up for lost time and I can't wait to make my debut. All I want is to score goals."
McCarthy also revealed he came close to joining West Ham from Portuguese club Porto five years ago and added: "The reason why I am happy that it has finally happened is because about five years ago I had a disappointing experience when I thought I was going to be a West Ham player until Porto pulled out and I had to go back.
"I would have loved this to be my first Premier League club. I went to Blackburn instead but West Ham kept on pursuing me and eventually I am here."
Hammers manager Gianfranco Zola, speaking after Saturday's draw with Blackburn, stated: "I do not know the terms yet but they have told me the deal is done.
"He should be available for the next game [at Burnley on Saturday]."
The news will come as a relief to the Italian after Tottenham persuaded Monaco striker Eidur Gudjohnsen to reject the Hammers in favour of a move to White Hart Lane.
"Benni will be a threat in the last third. He is a player who can score goals and he will be a very good help for us," added Zola.
McCarthy, who is expected to cost about ÂŁ2.5m, will be new West Ham owners David Sullivan and David Gold's first signing since their takeover of the debt-ridden club earlier this month.
Sullivan has revealed the club are ÂŁ110m in the red.
However, the former Birmingham co-owner has said bolstering Zola's squad is a priority, despite the club's financial problems.
Zola keen to add striker in January
"We are particularly short of strikers and they are the hardest and most difficult position to fill. That's the short-term objective," commented Sullivan.
McCarthy, who will wear the number 17 shirt, joined Blackburn from Porto in the summer of 2006 and has scored 52 times for the club but is eager to boost his chances of playing for South Africa when the nation hosts the World Cup this summer.
Rumours of his exit from Ewood Park have been rife for months, with McCarthy, who has started only nine games this season, voicing his frustration about a lack of first-team opportunities.
Rovers boss Sam Allardyce labelled 32-year-old McCarthy "selfish" for missing training in an apparent effort to force through the move.
Allardyce said: "The only loyalty a player has got is to himself. That's not just Benni, that's all players today.
"It's more about a selfish attitude that they have. If something comes their way that they think they must have, they try their very best to go and get it."
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
I am open to work with everyone to win 2028 — Bawumia
3 minutes -
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
8 minutes -
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
13 minutes -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
16 minutes -
Gov’t disburses GH¢23.1bn to clear road contractors’ arrears – Roads Minister
20 minutes -
Massive crowd turns out for Brock Royal Family’s Osu Duku Walk
22 minutes -
Aboboyaa Group donates two motorcycles to NACOC Ashanti Command
27 minutes -
Sexual harassment has no place in educational institutions – Education Ministry
33 minutes -
Rev Prof Amevenku elected 15th EPCG Moderator, pledges servant leadership
39 minutes -
Military leaders urged to prepare for emerging security threats
44 minutes -
Ghana to expand pharmaceutical manufacturing capacity – MahamaÂ
50 minutes -
Ghana to hold referendum on proposed constitutional amendments in 2027 – Mahama
57 minutes -
Social clubs must become engines of national development – Ace Ankomah
1 hour -
GTA closes Elmina Beach Resort, three other facilities over regulatory violations
1 hour -
Sustained peace will restore Bawku to its former glory – MahamaÂ
1 hour