Audio By Carbonatix
An 11-year-old boy boarded a plane from Manchester to Rome on his own without a passport, tickets or boarding pass.
The boy got through a security screen by mingling with families going through Terminal 1 on Tuesday afternoon.
He was discovered while the Jet2 plane was in mid-air after passengers became suspicious.
A Manchester Airport spokesman said a number of airline staff had been suspended.
The transport secretary said it was "incredibly concerning".
The youngster had been shopping with his mother at Wythenshawe Civic Centre when he went missing.
Staff at the centre were alerted and checked CCTV which showed the boy leaving the complex before he made his way to the airport.
The airport spokesman said the boy passed through security checks but was not asked to show any documentation.
The boy went straight to the nearest aircraft that was boarding - the flight to Rome - where he was also missed during a head-count on board the plane.
'Urgent review'
The spokesman said: "It is clear that documentation has not been checked correctly at security and the boarding gate.
"The boy went through full security screening, so the safety of passengers and the aircraft was never compromised."
Transport Secretary Justine Greening said: "I treat security breaches very, very seriously indeed, so we are now reviewing urgently with Manchester Airport, and indeed the airline, exactly what happened."
A spokesperson for Jet2.com said: "On Tuesday an 11-year-old boy cleared security at Manchester Airport, without the necessary paperwork but had been through a full security search.
"The boy then boarded our flight bound for Rome.
"We have launched a full investigation into what is a serious incident, and the staff involved have been suspended pending the outcome.
"The boy has been returned safely to his family."
He stayed on board the plane when it landed at Rome Fiumicino Airport and was flown back to Manchester when the plane returned on Tuesday evening.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
2 minutes -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
6 minutes -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
13 minutes -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund reviewÂ
18 minutes -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
20 minutes -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
22 minutes -
96% of Ghanaian pensioners willing to work beyond retirement age – Study
25 minutes -
Ghana gets nuclear power plant simulatorÂ
31 minutes -
Temporary Akosombo power control facility to be ready by September – Energy Ministry
32 minutes -
GMTF, Atlantic Lifesciences explore local production of cancer and heart medicines
36 minutes -
GHS medical-legal claims hit GH¢400m in three years
42 minutes -
Mahama cautions Ghanaians not to take religious freedom for granted
58 minutes -
We need development pathway, not selection exercise – Sports Minister urges football stakeholders
1 hour -
Government prioritises foundational learning to improve education outcomes Â
1 hour -
Ghana, Côte d’Ivoire deepen maritime security cooperation through joint boundary inspection
1 hour