Audio By Carbonatix
Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov flew to Italy on Wednesday to complete a move to Serie A club Fiorentina, a source close to the Bulgarian has said.
“Fiorentina have agreed personal terms with Dimitar and they’ll announce the deal very soon,” the source, who asked not to be identified, said, adding the transfer was subject to Berbatov passing a medical.
Berbatov, who became United’s most expensive player when he joined from Tottenham Hotspur in 2008 for £30.75 million (Dh178 million), had reached an agreement with the Serie A club on a two-year contract with an option for a further year.
The 31-year-old was the Premier League joint-top scorer in the 2010-11 season with 20 goals but has struggled to hold down a place in Alex Ferguson’s starting line-up since and was keen to revive his career in another top European league.
Ferguson made it clear it was probably time for Berbatov, who is Bulgaria’s all-time leading scorer with 48 goals, to look for a move when he signed Dutch striker Robin Van Persie from Arsenal prior to the start of the Premier League season.
If the deal is completed, Berbatov will become the fourth Bulgarian in Serie A after defender Nikolay Iliev and strikers Hristo Stoichkov and Valeri Bojinov, who played for Fiorentina between 2005 and 2007.
Soccer experts in Bulgaria believe the transfer could also lead to Berbatov ending his self-imposed international exile.
Earlier this year, Berbatov, who quit the national team in 2010, said he would be open to an approach from coach Luboslav Penev after he moved to a club where he could play regularly.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
DBG to develop tailored financing tools to drive Ghana’s oil palm industry
2 minutes -
Majority Leader James Agalga visits NYA CEO Osman Ayariga to discuss issues of youth development
5 minutes -
NPP Greater Accra chairmanship is preparation for bigger political assignment– Okoe Boye
10 minutes -
A Ghanaian PhD student at Texas Tech University advocates stronger protection for AI Data workers in Africa
24 minutes -
Berekuso chief appeals to Mahama over deplorable Katesi-Berekuso-Dome-Kwabenya road
37 minutes -
Freda Kingful Abraham Cudjoe: The visionary founder building a creative legacy through Impakers Creative Hub
40 minutes -
Tanker drivers suspend strike after BOST commits to fix Kumasi depot challenges
43 minutes -
Photos: Stonebwoy’s BHIM Festival at OVO Arena Wembley, London
51 minutes -
BoG identifies $4.8bn annual SME financing gap, pushes digital data-driven lending
1 hour -
Labone bank robbery suspect remanded
1 hour -
NTC launches 2026 Ghana Teacher Prize to celebrate outstanding educators
1 hour -
Hanan Abdul-Hamid cannot be forced to face trial without lawyer — Dame
1 hour -
MTTD to make Accra model city for safe riding – ACP Dr Samuel Sasu Mensah
1 hour -
NPP Upper West eyes 2028 comeback; dismisses vote-buying allegations in regional executive elections
1 hour -
Minaata Moomin defeats Nancy Dery in NPP Upper West Regional Women’s Organiser election
1 hour