Audio By Carbonatix
CAF announced on Wednesday that the Algerian side would have to play with their Stade du 8 Mai 1945 home closed after a meeting by the CAF Organising Committee for Interclubs Competitions.
It comes after repeated warnings and financial sanctions failed to stop incidents of unsporting behaviour by fans of ES Setif throughout the group phase of the tournament.
The decision will come as a bitter disappointment to the Algerians who would have been looking for their vociferous home support to lift their team against the four-time winners from the Democratic Republic of Congo on Saturday.
For their part, TP Mazembe have been encamped at the Lizzy Sports Complex in Accra, Ghana, since Monday in an attempt to improve their away form, having scored just once in their last four away games in this competition.
TP Mazembe are not the only DR Congo side to make the CAF Champions League semi-finals as AS Vita Club prepare to take on last year's CAF Confederation Cup winners CS Sfaxien.
However, the shadow of their more illustrious and decorated countrymen hangs over Vita Club as they prepare for the first leg of the semi-final showdown with Philippe Troussier's Tunisians - so much so that Vita Club coach Florent Ibenge was moved to claim his team had a "Mazembe complex".
"The club is deeply traumatised by Mazembe's superiority over the last few years," he said.
"We could talk of a 'Mazembe complex', it would not be exaggerated."
However, young striker Yunus Sentamu, who scored the goal against Zamalek of Egypt to send Vita through to the semi-finals, isn't thinking of the complex that pre-occupies his coach.
"It is a great club to play for, and I am very proud that I am a part of the team that has advanced to the semi-finals," the 20-year-old said.
"We now believe that we can go all the way. We are very strong at home and North African clubs struggle to play against us in Kinshasa.
"We will have a full stadium and with the crowd behind us we can beat anybody."
Latest Stories
-
GoldBod cannot hide behind agency role to escape accountability – Afenyo-Markin
2 minutes -
‘You don’t get to keep the fees and disown the costs’ – Afenyo-Markin challenges GoldBod
7 minutes -
GNPC turns 40, targets oil production recovery and $3.5bn fresh investment
16 minutes -
Minority will speak boldly on GoldBod losses despite attacks – Afenyo-Markin vows
21 minutes -
Moody’s upgrades EBID rating to B1, citing stronger finances and shareholder support
30 minutes -
GoldBod cannot make losses trading gold – Afenyo-Markin
38 minutes -
Papaye, KFC and Pizzaman customers among most targeted as TrustGH uncovers nearly 1,000 scam numbers cloning Google business profiles of major food chains
48 minutes -
2026 U20 WWC: ‘We are in a tough group’ – Black Princesses’ Linda Owusu Ansah
55 minutes -
2026 U20 WWC: Ghana’s Ambassador to Czech Republic welcomes Black Princesses to Poland
1 hour -
Oti NPP executives demand completion of stalled government projects
2 hours -
Jinapor demands answers as Alima Mahama is asked to pay for Embassy spending outside her tenure
2 hours -
Russia doubles scholarships for Ghanaian students to 240 annually
2 hours -
Cedi’s year-to-date loss slumps to 4.09% as recent gains gather pace
2 hours -
‘Home has spoken’ – Justin Kodua Frimpong says as Ashanti delegates back his re-election bid
2 hours -
Mustapha Abdul-Hamid, seven others’ NPA case adjourned to August 27
2 hours