Audio By Carbonatix
Chelsea say they "regret" the way they handled their accusation that referee
Mark Clattenburg used racial language at midfielder John Mikel Obi.
The Blues also regretted the subsequent "intense media scrutiny" faced by Clattenburg and his family.
The allegations were dismissed by the Football Association and the police dropped their own inquiry.
The club also indicated they would be happy for Clattenburg to referee at Stamford Bridge in future.
And the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) confirmed it would have "no issue" in appointing him to Chelsea fixtures.
A joint statement by the Premier League, PGMOL and Chelsea said: "It is time to draw a line under this incident."
Clattenburg missed four weekends of Premier League matches while the FA investigated Chelsea's complaint, but will return to referee Norwich's match at Southampton on Wednesday.
The FA cleared him last week of using "inappropriate language" towards Mikel in the Blues' home defeat by Manchester United on 28 October.
Chelsea midfielder Ramires claimed after the 28 October game that Clattenburg had directed racial language at Mikel, and the club said in the joint statement that they were duty bound to report the allegation to the FA.
"The referees accept that, given Chelsea FC had received a good faith claim from one of their employees, the club had an obligation under FA rules to report the allegation," the statement read.
However, Chelsea acknowledged that making the allegations public immediately after the game led to unwelcome press attention towards Clattenburg and his family.
"The club regrets not having given more consideration before issuing a statement on the evening of Sunday, 28 October. The club also regrets the subsequent impact the intense media scrutiny had on Mark Clattenburg and his family."
The meeting between PGMOL, the Premier League and Chelsea took place on Monday at England's National Football Centre, St George's Park.
PGMOL were represented by general manager Mike Riley and all 16 Select Group referees, the Premier League by chief executive Richard Scudamore and Chelsea FC by club chairman Bruce Buck.
Referees' union Prospect welcomed the joint statement and said the use of the word "regrets" was "tantamount to, and accepted by Mark and the Select Group [of referees], as an apology".
"Importantly the statement also refers to Chelsea's willingness to welcome Mark back to Stamford Bridge," Prospect continued.
"This was an important move forward in confirming Chelsea's recognition of Mark's integrity and impartiality."
The 37-year-old always denied the charges and the Metropolitan Police dropped its own inquiry earlier this month.
Clattenburg admitted that he feared that the allegations could have brought an end to his career as a referee.
"To know you were innocent of something but that there was the opportunity for it to wreck your career was truly frightening," he said in a statement after being cleared by the FA.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Luv FM High School Debate: Anticipation builds as schools battle for supremacy in Round of 16
19 minutes -
Banking sector deposits jump 25% to GH¢334.3bn in 2025 — PwC
35 minutes -
Hostel Owners Association bares teeth over legality of rent control campaign against exorbitant fees
42 minutes -
GCB overtakes Ecobank as Ghana’s largest deposit-taking bank
44 minutes -
Young Cocoa Farmers petition Mahama over funding, producer price and start date for new cocoa season
54 minutes -
Ruha Benjamin challenges Africa to shape its own AI future
56 minutes -
Trump threatens to bomb US ally Oman if it ‘gets in the way’ over Iran deal
1 hour -
FIFA sacks senior executive who criticised Infantino, Sky News understands
1 hour -
Aksa saga: Don’t turn EOCO-OSP roles into turf war – Deputy AG
1 hour -
Abandoned Dome-Berekuso-Kitase road project should not become a waste of taxpayers’ money — chief warns
1 hour -
University of Gold Coast graduates urged to prove themselves beyond certificates
2 hours -
GoldBod sets new X-Ray Fluorescence standard for gold purity testing from September 1
2 hours -
Why EOCO, not OSP, is leading AKSA bribery probe – Deputy AG explains
2 hours -
Republic Bank-JoyNews Habitat Fair to kick off with Mini-fair at Achimota Mall on August 21
2 hours -
From promises to poisoned rivers: The dangerous silence fueling Ghana’s escalating galamsey and environmental collapse
2 hours