Audio By Carbonatix
Christ the King Church in Accra has banned backpacks as part of new directives to beef up security at the church.
The move comes in the wake of the threat of terrorism that has gripped the country.
The new security measures are also part of a national campaign to scale up their internal security at churches.
The new security directive published in Sunday’s edition of the church’s Weekly Bulletin explained that the recent terror attacks on Catholic churches in Burkina Faso and Sri Lanka have necessitated the new security measure.
The church also told parishioners to quickly raise an alarm about suspicious persons or actions.
Speaking to Joy News’ Maxwell Agbaba, parish priest Rev Father Andrew Campbell said a taxi station sited close to the church will be relocated – also as part of the new security measures.
He added that a ban had been placed on the use of motorcycles at the church premises.
The newly published security directive indicated policemen would be deployed during Sunday church services and other occasions.
Related: Campaign for better security at churches begins amid terror scare
Maxwell reported seeing several policemen both inside and outside the main church auditorium when he visited the popular Catholic church situated in close proximity to the Jubilee House (the seat of the Presidency).
It is also the church the Chief Imam, Osman Nuhu Sharubutu, visited to celebrated his 100 years birthday.
The directive also includes a complete audit of the security system will be done. There will also be the recruitment and training of new ushers,” the bulletin said.
“Sitting positions of ushers will be changed as soon as possible as no usher shall be allowed to be seated at the rear end of the church,” the bulletin read.
One member of the church who spoke to Joy News said Ghanaians are not security conscious which can pose a threat to their lives.
“We have taken our security for granted saying ‘oh Ghana is a peaceful country’. You’ll be in church, a bomb goes off and you are gone for life so it is very scary,” she added.

Latest Stories
-
GRIDCo restores power nationwide after August 20 blackout, says grid strengthening measures ongoing
6 minutes -
Journalism must prioritise public interest over attention — Kwesi Pratt
43 minutes -
Ghana Mineworkers Union demand suspension of contract mining directive, threaten industrial action
1 hour -
ADB Ghana Medicals constructing and equipping new Cardiothoracic Centre at Komfo Anokye
1 hour -
AFREIKH Summer School challenges Africa to harness critical minerals
1 hour -
Government plans 2,000-acre pharmaceutical innovation park in Osudoku to boost local drug production
1 hour -
Partey undergoes medical ahead of Al Shabab move in Saudi Arabia
1 hour -
Today’s front pages: Friday, August 21, 2026
2 hours -
Power outages could drive up cost of digital services — NITA
2 hours -
Patients face basic sanitation gaps in West African health facilities — WHO / UNICEF
2 hours -
Competence has no age; let’s stop punishing new businesses
2 hours -
JoyNews Republic Bank Habitat Fair 2026 opens today at Achimota Mall
2 hours -
What Is Wrong With Us: The roads that keep counting our dead
2 hours -
MTN condemns recent xenophobic attacks on Ghanaians in South Africa
2 hours -
Philip Nai: What happens at your front desk can make or break your brand
3 hours