The Auditor-General has cited Makro Structures Limited for abandoning a Covid-19 isolation and treatment centre project in Nalerigu of the North East Region.
According to the Audit Service, the contractor was awarded the ¢15 million project by government on May 11, 2020, and was charged to complete it in October 2022.
It was subsequently paid GH¢4.5 million which constitutes 30 per cent of the full amount to commence the designing, construction and equipping of the centre.
However, the Auditor-General in its latest report into government’s Covid-19 expenditure between March 2020 and June 2022, indicated that Makro Structures Limited upon starting works in October 2021 undertook civil works up to 10 per cent and abandoned the site in December 2021.
“Written communication from the Director of the Infrastructure Directorate, reveals that the Director had made several efforts to get the contractor to the site, but the contractor was unwilling to continue.
“The absence of a performance bond has contributed to the difficulty in recovering the amount paid to the contractor for non-performance,” parts of the audit report read.
The Auditor-General, Johnson Akuamoah Asiedu, further noted that the abandonment impeded government’s effort to provide a treatment and holding centre in the North East Region.
He, however, recommended that the Chief Director should recover the mobilisation amount, terminate the contract and re-award the construction of the project to a more committed contractor.
- Akufo-Addo swears in 3 new members of Electoral Commission
- ECG disconnects power to Ho Airport, GRA over debt
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- Ludacris hangs out with Sarkodie in Ghana, fans speculate new music
- Ghana v Angola: Kingsley Schindler replaces injured Tariq Lamptey
- Cedi may record mixed performance to dollar this week
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Putin says ties with Africa a priority to Moscow
- ECG mass disconnection campaign to be sustained indefinitely – Samuel Mahama
- We’ll meter all distribution transformers to fight power theft – Samuel Mahama
- Former Accra Regional Hospital Medical Director files nomination for Garu
- AFCON 2023Q: Goalpost collapses and injures Wollacott in training
- Ugandan parliament passes bill to jail gay people
- Ghana’s economy is still afloat because of Alan Kyerematen’s vision – Buaben Asamoah
- Intimidation of journalists is on the rise – Kweku Andoh Awotwi
- I have already won Ayawaso West Wuogon NDC primaries – Fred Nuamah
- Playback: One-one-on with Managing Director of ECG on PM Express
- EC has become an annex of the NPP – Sammy Gyamfi
- If you move right, you don’t need 10 shows to be okay – Kelvyn Boy
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- 3 JoyNews journalists win big at Merck Foundation 2022 Media Recognition Awards
- I want to be President to build a new Ghana –Kwaku Kobeah
- Essence of marketing is creation of strong brands – Nsarkoh