Commissioner of Police George Alex Mensah says he is set to contest the Asante Bekwai parliamentary seat in the Ashanti Region.
This announcement comes as he officially retires from the Ghana Police Service after 31 years of service.
COP Alex Mensah is currently at the center of that leaked tape plotting the removal of Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Dr George Akuffo Dampare and has appeared before the Parliamentary Committee investigating the matter.
COP George Alex Mensah has told Accra-based Angel FM his decision is made and will contest to enter parliament to represent the Bekwai Constituency.
“I have been thinking about it. I will run, I will run,” he said.
While he does not say on which party’s ticket, the COP had during the ad-hoc committee’s hearing revealed that he is an NPP sympathizer.
In a series of questions posed by the Member of Parliament for Asunafo South, Eric Opoku, concerning specific statements the Commissioner made in the leaked audio tape suggesting his affiliation to the NPP, the COP stated that his entire family has been faithful to the United Party (UP) tradition from which the NPP emerged.
“Mr. Chairman, my family has been with the UP tradition ever since I was born, and we’ve remained there till now,” he said.
He later added, “I am a sympathizer of the NPP.”
Eric Opoku: “So you’re not a member, you’re a sympathiser is that what you’re saying to this committee?”
COP Mensah: “Yes. Mr. Chairman. I’ve said it already.”
- Playback: The Law discusses how to avoid contempt of court
- D-Black’s TV show, Uncut, hits the screens in November
- Leaked tape scandal: Supt. George Asare invites 3 witnesses to testify against IGP
- Radio Ada journalist on trial over publication of fake news about McDan is dead
- Kwame Dadzie: Our celebrities should stage ‘demo’ on creative arts matters too
- Tigst Assefa smashes world marathon record in Berlin, Eliud Kipchoge achieves record fifth win
- Ebenezer Owusu writes: Things are not the same anymore
- It’s difficult doing business in Ghana, 21.9% tax on hospitality businesses harsh – D-Black
- Prof. Stephen Adei partners Chirano Gold Mines to roll out Innovative Literacy Program for local communities
- Democracy comes with rights and responsibilities – Enam Akoetey chides #OccupyJulorbiHouse organisers
- Dr UN Award incredibly stupid; I can’t believe I fell for that nonsense – D-Black
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Police apologise to public inconvenienced during protest
- GPL Week 2: Eric Bosomtwi stunner buries Kotoko in Bibiani
- Rwanda suspends coach for Black Queens are “like men” comment after 7-0 demolition
- Must it take you 2 years to publish alleged $1m bribery audio? – Barker-Vormawor’s integrity questioned