The Ho District Court has ordered the arrest of the leader of the Homeland Study Group Foundation (HSGF), Charles Kwame Kudzodzi and two others, over their unlawful declaration of the Volta Region as a sovereign state.
This was after five other members of the group were put before the court Wednesday, for taking part in the activity which announced that the Volta Region was now ‘Western Togoland’, AdomNews Mubarak Yakubu has reported.
The five have been charged with treason and have been remanded into prison custody until December 4, after the prosecution told the court that they would be needed to assist with investigations.
They are Peter Godfriend Edem, Mkpe Tornyi Kudjo, Kofi Agbeko, Agbenyaga Akudzi and Ibrahim Tofa.
Earlier, spokesperson for the police in the Region, Corporal Prince Dogbatse told Adom News that the spouse and daughter of Kudzodzi were among some eleven persons arrested for the offence.
The police called for calm among residents of the region and maintained that Volta Region and the other areas being purported to have been seceded remain a part of Ghana.
The group, which has been championing the secession of parts of Ghana along the border with Togo, over the weekend declared independence for the territory they call ‘Western Togoland’.
The Homeland Study Group Foundation (HSGF) announced its separation on their official social media handles on Saturday, November 16, after a group meeting was held in Ho.
“Today the 16th of November 2019, the leader of Western Togoland independence Mr Charles Kormi Kudzodzi has announced the separation of Western Togoland from Ghana. He sighted numerous reasons as the bases for which the union that was not established must not be recognized. More information will soon reach the General public soon,” they wrote on Facebook.
Homeland Study Group Foundation
The group, Homeland Study Group Foundation has been advocating the independence of former Western Togoland made up of Volta Region, Oti Region and parts of the North East Region, Northern Region and Upper East Region.
The region was a German colony but at the end of World War I, it was split in two and the Eastern side ceded to France and is present-day Togo.
The Western side was a British protectorate and voted in a plebiscite in 1956 to join Ghana which was about to be granted independence by Britain.
The Homeland Study Group Foundation argues that the agreement to join Ghana included forming a union in 50 years.
They claim the said union was never formed so since 2007, the group has been championing separation from Ghana.
Leaders of the group have been arrested in the past and released.
- Woman ordered to refund $80k after she refuses to marry man who paid her fees
- Suspected food poisoning: 5 die after eating waakye
- Patience Ozokwor explains why she didn’t remarry after husband’s death
- Government reaches deal with Securities Industry Association to sign up for Domestic Debt Exchange
- Ghanaian students on government scholarship stranded in UK over delayed stipend
- Court orders for pregnancy test of woman convicted in ¢50k theft before sentence
- 4 persons injured in ghastly accident on Accra-Kumasi Highway
- Full Report: Technical Committee on exclusion of individual bondholders from Debt Exchange Programme
- Classroom Mothers: Schoolgirl donating blood discovers she’s 3 months pregnant
- Individual bondholders petition Togbe Afede over Domestic Debt Exchange Programme
- Ghana’s reserves ended 2022 at 2.7 months of import cover; but trade surplus hits $2.75bn
- IMF presses Ghana to stop borrowing from its central bank
- Cedi depreciated by 19.1% to dollar in January 2023 – BoG
- A Google employee of 11 years and his wife shell-shocked over retrenchment
- Ghana’s public debt stood at ¢575.7bn in November 2022 – BoG
- There is a need for proper accountability of climate change funds – Dr Segtub
- Playback: Joy Prime’s BMPS Show: Is flirting disrespectful to your partner?
- What if Muntaka is appointed party’s campaign manager – NDC Executive Member on Minority leadership shake-up
- #SomethingWickedAwards live on Hitz FM
- Climate change funds should be used more for adaptation and mitigation efforts – Penplusbytes
- 1 suspect arrested in Krofrom gang attack
- Only 1 person died from suspected food poisoning at Oyibi – FDA
- UMB launches 2 new life insurance products with SIC Life
- Gang burns down six-bedroom house in reprisal attack at Krofrom
- 7 shot dead at Jerusalem synagogue