A 42-year-old man has been arrested by the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service for posing as a lawyer for suspects involved in the Western Togoland case.
Dennis Eyram Benson was arrested on Thursday, December 17, at the Kaneshie District Court ‘2’, when he appeared to defend his ‘clients’, according to a press release issued by the Head of Public Affairs at the CID, DSP Juliana Obeng.
He is reported to have represented the said suspects since the inception of the case in September this year.
However, “his demeanour aroused suspicion, which made the Police to investigate his background and it turned out that he was not a lawyer,” the CID says.
The suspect is currently in Police custody assisting investigations.
The suspect had been representing arrested members of the Homeland Study Group Foundation (HSGF), who had been jointly charged with conspiracy to commit a crime, rioting with weapons, and participating in a campaign of a prohibited organization namely Western Togoland, and to attend meetings of same.
They had attacked the Aveyime and Mepe police stations in the North Tongu District demanding that the region be an autonomous country known as Western Togoland on September 25.
- Woman ordered to refund $80k after she refuses to marry man who paid her fees
- Suspected food poisoning: 5 die after eating waakye
- Patience Ozokwor explains why she didn’t remarry after husband’s death
- Government reaches deal with Securities Industry Association to sign up for Domestic Debt Exchange
- Ghanaian students on government scholarship stranded in UK over delayed stipend
- Court orders for pregnancy test of woman convicted in ¢50k theft before sentence
- 4 persons injured in ghastly accident on Accra-Kumasi Highway
- Full Report: Technical Committee on exclusion of individual bondholders from Debt Exchange Programme
- Classroom Mothers: Schoolgirl donating blood discovers she’s 3 months pregnant
- Individual bondholders petition Togbe Afede over Domestic Debt Exchange Programme
- Ghana’s reserves ended 2022 at 2.7 months of import cover; but trade surplus hits $2.75bn
- IMF presses Ghana to stop borrowing from its central bank
- Cedi depreciated by 19.1% to dollar in January 2023 – BoG
- A Google employee of 11 years and his wife shell-shocked over retrenchment
- Ghana’s public debt stood at ¢575.7bn in November 2022 – BoG
- There is a need for proper accountability of climate change funds – Dr Segtub
- Playback: Joy Prime’s BMPS Show: Is flirting disrespectful to your partner?
- What if Muntaka is appointed party’s campaign manager – NDC Executive Member on Minority leadership shake-up
- #SomethingWickedAwards live on Hitz FM
- Climate change funds should be used more for adaptation and mitigation efforts – Penplusbytes
- 1 suspect arrested in Krofrom gang attack
- Only 1 person died from suspected food poisoning at Oyibi – FDA
- UMB launches 2 new life insurance products with SIC Life
- Gang burns down six-bedroom house in reprisal attack at Krofrom
- 7 shot dead at Jerusalem synagogue