Audio By Carbonatix
The Ministry of Gender, Children, and Social Protection (MoGCSP) says the docket on the alleged sexual abuse and subsequent death of a 16-year-old male footballer, Ransford Owusu Ansah, has been transferred to the Homicide Unit of the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) for further investigations.
In a statement dated Friday, November 7, the Ministry said it had taken “a keen interest” in the case following media reports that the boy had allegedly been abused by his coach, Ibrahim Anyass, at the Siano Soccer Academy in Amasaman.
According to the statement, the Ashanti Regional Directorate of Gender immediately initiated follow-up investigations “to ascertain the facts and engage relevant stakeholders, including the victim’s family.”
The Ministry revealed that preliminary reports indicated the victim had been under the care of the coach for the past three years.
“Unknown to his mother, he had allegedly been subjected to sexual abuse during that period,” the statement said.
It added that the victim had been receiving medical care since December 2024 and was later admitted to the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) for treatment, but unfortunately passed away.
The Ministry said that the management of Siano Soccer Academy had suspended the coach and pledged full cooperation with law enforcement agencies to ensure justice.
“We empathise deeply with the bereaved family,” the statement read.
“The Ministry emphasises that crime has no expiration and therefore remains committed to pursuing justice for the victim and his family.”
The Ministry explained that since assuming office in February 2025, the Minister for Gender, Children, and Social Protection had engaged the Ghana Football Association (GFA) to strengthen accountability and child protection mechanisms within the football sector.
“Following this engagement, the Siano Soccer Academy, in addition to suspending the coach, temporarily closed the facility pending investigations,” it said.
The Ministry added that through its Orange Support Centre (OSC) of the Domestic Violence Secretariat, it conducted investigations alongside the Amasaman Domestic Violence and Victim Support Unit (DOVVSU) before referring the case to the Greater Accra Regional DOVVSU.
Reaffirming its dedication to protecting children, the Ministry stated: “The Ministry of Gender, Children, and Social Protection remains unwavering in its commitment to safeguarding the welfare, dignity, and rights of every child in Ghana.”
It noted that through its decentralised structures, including the Departments of Gender, Children and Social Welfare, and the Orange Support Centre, it continues to work with key partners and law enforcement agencies “to ensure justice and protection for all children.”
The Ministry urged the public to stay alert and report any suspected cases of child abuse or violence.
“We urge the public to remain vigilant and report all suspected cases of child abuse and violence through the Domestic Violence call centre on 0800-111-222 or at the nearest Social Welfare or DOVVSU office,” the statement said.


Latest Stories
-
Photos: President Mahama cuts sod for 24-hour economy market in Bole
22 minutes -
Ghana-eligible midfielder Kofi Amoako joins Hamburg from Dynamo Dresden
27 minutes -
Mahama commissions Yamoransa Model Lab 13 to advance STEM and digital skills training
43 minutes -
Youth Ministry says nearly 90,000 young people are employed under government programmes
2 hours -
Adaklu Mountain now a security zone – Volta Regional Minister
2 hours -
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
2 hours -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
3 hours -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
3 hours -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
3 hours -
Football Noise, Economic Silence
3 hours -
Replacing Haruna and Muntaka in Parliament was strategic for Election 2024 – Asiedu Nketia, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu explain the plot
3 hours -
Security service recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
3 hours -
Ghana’s tech prodigies set for Geneva after triumphant ‘Robotics for Good’ national qualifiers
3 hours -
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
4 hours -
Mahama says Ghana’s IMF programme was close to derailment before he took over
4 hours