Three iconic names in Ghana’s financial sector were honored over the weekend, for creating businesses that provided job opportunities for many Ghanaians and helped transform the Ghanaian economy over the last few decades.
Founder of Star Assurance, Unibank, UniCredit, EIB network and other finance houses, Dr. Kwabena Duffuor, the founder of Asogli Power Plant and President of the National House of Chiefs, Togbe Afede and the pioneering Managing Director of Stanbic Bank Ghana plc, Mr Alhassan Andani, were celebrated last night, at a well-coloured event held at the Golden Tulip Hotel, Kumasi.
In a citation, event organisers, MicJoy Advertising said to Dr Duffuor that, he is being honoured “for the indelible mark you have left in the management of Ghana’s economy and the creation of jobs in the financial and insurance sectors of our economy.”
Since this is the second time that the former Governor of the Bank of Ghana and former Finance Minister has received an award from the organisers, they added: “We celebrate you today for your monumental impact in the economic development of the country.”
Dr. Duffuor who was represented by his Aide, Mr Lateef Apau Wiredu thanked the event organisers for once again recognising his achievements.
In a short message, he dedicated the award to hardworking Ghanaians who desire to create businesses or secure jobs, but whose efforts are being resisted by harsh conditions beyond their control. To them he encouraged and expressed hope that better times will come for them to realise their dreams.
Dr. Duffuor emphasised the need for creating an enabling environment for businesses to thrive and expand instead of having a hostile environment that elbows initiatives and entrepreneurial drives. In his opinion, an environment that destroys businesses is anti development, kills initiatives and destroys entrepreneurship.
Going further, he sympathised with all those have lost jobs in recent years and asked them to look forward to more blissful days ahead.
Other distinguished Ghanaians, who have excelled in various fields of endeavour were also awarded on the night for their impactful contributions.
- Police arrest man flogging toddler in viral video
- Daddy Lumba opens up on being bedridden for over 5 years
- ‘Akufo-Addo must resign; he’s giving us too much headache’ – Kpebu
- Government increases cocoa price by 21% to ¢800 a bag
- Black Sherif releases ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- Loans to become more expensive as BoG hikes policy rate to 24.5%
- Ghana’s debt to GDP is not properly accounted for – Ato Forson
- Residents of Ashalaja sleep in kiosks as their homes remain flooded
- Nigerian oil export terminal had theft line into sea for 9 years
- IMF won’t lend to Ghana if debt levels are unsustainable – Theo Acheampong
- Two health institutions in UK award £10 million to fight non-communicable diseases in West Africa
- Parliament warns Herald Editor to cease exposés on controversial GNPC/Genser Energy contract
- Cardiovascular diseases on the rise in Ghana; access to healthcare still a challenge – Report
- Power supply was curtailed to Weija, adjourning communities due to flood – ECG
- Nigeria Plans 15% Increase in Borrowing to Fund Record Deficit
- Government running Ghana as “a satellite state of international capital” – Martin Amidu
- Playback: NDC holds presser on illegal mining
- Daniel Afriyie Barnieh to run down Hearts contract as he rejects new deal
- Increase price of bag of cocoa to ¢1,500 or we smuggle it – Farmers
- 281 artisans pass out as certified electricians in Ashanti region
- Government records fiscal deficit of 6.4% as of September 30, 2022 – BoG
- Brother stands in as groom skips wedding to train
- Cedi loses 37.5% in value to dollar as of September 30, 2022 – BoG
- 51 GrEEn SMEs receive over ¢1.3m total matching grant to expand their business
- Banks profit-before-tax grows 25.2% to ¢6.1bn