Audio By Carbonatix
The Accra Operations Commander of Police has refuted claims by the East Legon Commander that the latter was sidelined in the bloody Ayawaso West Wuogon by-election.
Chief Supt. Kwesi Ofori told the Commission investigating the disturbances at La Bawaleshie during the by-election that it is impossible DSP George Asare could be sidelined.
“We don’t have that power, therefore, we won’t dare,” he said.
He explained that the Airport Divisional Commander was directed to deploy his personnel. “So being a subset of the Airport Division…DSP Asare cannot say he has not been deployed,” Ofori stated.
According to Kwesi Ofori, three officers including an Immigration officer were deployed to the East Legon area but with no intention of usurping the powers of the District Commander.
DSP Asare testified that he was sidelined in the by-election operation
“…they were there to take charge of specific electoral areas.” As the District Commander, DSP Asare is the overall commander at East Legon, neither I nor the Regional Commander can deny him that,” he espoused.
Kwesi Ofori confirms Asare’s disgruntlement
Speaking on the complaints of DSP Asare, Kwesi Ofori corroborated what the District Commander told the Commission.
However, he said when Asare confronted him on whether he had been sidelined, he asked his “good friend” to refer to the operational schedule, which stated that he has been deployed by the Divisional Commander.
In a turn of events, he stated that the DSP was on active duty during the by-elections.
DSP Asare had previously told the Commission that he only got into action on January 31, after the Accra Regional Police Commander, DCOP Patrick Adusei Sarpong, called him after violence had broken out at La Bawaleshie.
Despite confirming that DSP Asare was present in La Bawaleshie to calm tempers, Chief Supt. Ofori was insistent that the former was on active duty before then.
“I saw him…going round in his jurisdiction,” he unequivocally stated. He added that he was surprised, therefore, that the DSP testified before the Commission suggesting he was sidelined.
Latest Stories
-
Samuel Jinapor raises concerns over Abronye DC’s continued detention, warns against ‘culture of silence’
15 minutes -
GFA, Metro Mass Transit seal partnership to transform football transport and fan experience
28 minutes -
Tension mounts in Asante Mampong NPP over alleged voters register irregularities
28 minutes -
Economic activity strengthens in quarter one 2026, but business, consumer sentiments soften – BoG
29 minutes -
Health Ministry congratulates Mintah Akandoh on election as WHO Committee B Chairman
30 minutes -
Licensed mining firm cries foul over illegal occupation of concession at Wasa Dadieso
34 minutes -
Selective Outrage and the Struggle for Principle in Ghana’s Democracy
46 minutes -
Wa West records 37.9% reduction in poverty through interventions by MP Peter Toobu
49 minutes -
Ghana’s tax architecture more data and enforcement driven than any point in modern history – Tax report
53 minutes -
GCB Bank backs Timeline & Innovations LTD with heavy-duty fleet to boost Ghana’s “Big Push” agenda
53 minutes -
Photos: Tunisian Minister of Youth and Sports meets Rugby Africa President Herbert Mensah
1 hour -
“We’ll charge security officers for murder if anything happens to Abronye DC” – Haruna Mohammed
1 hour -
Afri-SET holds third regional workshop on Air quality sensors and data analysis for West Africa
1 hour -
BoG has not abandoned eCedi project – BoG Governor assures
1 hour -
We are not intervening in the market but building reserves – BoG Governor on cedi pressures
1 hour