Audio By Carbonatix
The Electoral Commission (EC) has indefinitely postponed the upcoming limited voter registration exercise across the country.
In a press release Monday, the Commission said the action has become necessary in view of a pending injunction seeking to restrain it “from holding the Limited Voter Registration Exercise.”
The EC had scheduled the exercise to register those who have turned 18 since the voter register was last updated.
The three-weeks exercise was to have come off from June 7 to June 27, but the Electoral Commission has apologised for all inconveniences saying a new date will be announced soon.
Umar Ayuba filed an application at the Supreme Court seeking for an injunction to stop the Commission from going ahead with the registration last week.
The injunction follows a substantive suit filed by the same individual challenging the decision by the EC to hold the registration in its district offices and some selected electoral areas.
According to Mr Ayuba, the Commission's directive is without legal basis making it unconstitutional.
The EC per calendar is expected to begin the registration on June 7 in readiness for the local elections and referendum scheduled for December this year.
Communications officer of the EC, Sylvia Annor told Joy News Monday, that they have no option but to respect the orders of the court.
“The Commission is holding on pending the final determination of the injunction application of the court on the matter,” she said.
Regarding the decision affecting the EC’s calendar, Mrs Annor said they would have to make adjustments but it is immature to make a pronouncement on that now.
“Let us wait for the outcome of the injunction application,” she pleaded.
Latest Stories
-
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
2 hours -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
2 hours -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
2 hours -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
2 hours -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
2 hours -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
2 hours -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
2 hours -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
2 hours -
Petrol prices to drop today with diesel up in mixed pump price review
2 hours -
Okoe Boye will help NPP win more seats in Greater Accra – Bawumia
3 hours -
I am open to work with everyone to win 2028 — Bawumia
3 hours -
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
3 hours -
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
3 hours -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
3 hours -
Gov’t disburses GH¢23.1bn to clear road contractors’ arrears – Roads Minister
3 hours