One of Egypt’s most celebrated actresses Soheir El-Bably has died at the age of 86.
Her career spanned more than 50 years – in the cinema, on stage and on television.
She played dramatic roles, but was perhaps best known and best-loved for her skill in comedy.
Actors, directors and the many fans of El-Bably across the Arab world have been paying tribute to her as the queen of comedy and diva of the Egyptian stage.
For some, El-Bably’s name evokes nostalgia for what’s known as the golden age of Egyptian cinema in the 1950s and 60s – she worked with some of the most revered directors and acted with other legendary stars.
Later, she had great success on television – playing leading roles in some of the most popular series that are a staple of family life every Ramadan.
A tweeter shared photos of the actress:
Today we mourn as we lost one of the greatest greats. So saddened and heartbroken to hear of the passing of Soheir El-Bably. One of the most legendary actresses in Egypt and Arab World history who played so many iconic roles. RIP Soska! Your legacy is eternal. #سهير_البابلي pic.twitter.com/NGOXL6M4GS— Wirjil (@Wirjil) November 21, 2021
t is on stage that many feel El-Bably made her greatest contribution – where her style matched the sly knockabout humour of the Egyptian theatre.
The dominance of Egyptian entertainment in the Arab world made her a household name across the region, with many now mourning her loss as if she were a member of their own family.
- Ex-military man shoots 2 children over rent issues with their father
- NSMQ 2021: ‘Learn to lose graciously’ – Primetime replies Presec on ‘raw deal’ claims
- Court issues warrant for the arrest of Nhyiaeso MP
- GOIL withdraws from Association of OMCs over accusations of government interference in fuel price review
- ‘E-levy is not compulsory; if you don’t want to pay, don’t do ‘MoMo’ – Carlos Ahenkorah
- Prempeh College’s interactive screen was locked through no fault of theirs during NSMQ finale – Primetime Limited reveals
- 2 new banks coming soon – Banking Consultant
- GOIL denies government’s hand in latest fuel price review
- 3 school children die in accident, others in critical condition
- Presec’s alumni claims; an attempt to detract attention from our champions – Primetime Ltd
Ghana’s fight against corruption was thrown in reverse for 3 years – Special Prosecutor
NYC Mayor-elect, Eric Adams is guest of honour at HACSA Foundation
ECG cuts power supply to Tema Steel, Central University over accumulated electricity debt
US announces funds to support independent journalism and reporters targeted for their work
Decision to collapse UT bank was partly fueled by political reasons – Kofi Amoabeng
ACCA hosts its third Africa Members’ Conference 2021
Taunts of going to hell for being gay pushes 12-year-old to commit suicide
‘Thank you for the Twitter messages and posts for my birthday’ – Kufuor
‘Bring innovation to farming’ – Karaga MP urges winners of 2021 Farmers Day at Pishugu
We don’t need Wizkid’s platform, We have to work hard – R2Bees
Special Prosecutor to set up Ghana Corruption League Table in 2022
Sustain momentum of Green Ghana Project – Youth Bridge Foundation to government
First Lady’s Cup: Hasaacas seek fifth major trophy against Ampem Darkoa
WGPL: GFA releases fixtures for 2021/22 season
We are currently investigating 31 corruption cases – Special Prosecutor