One of Egypt’s most celebrated actresses Soheir El-Bably has died at the age of 86.
Her career spanned more than 50 years – in the cinema, on stage and on television.
She played dramatic roles, but was perhaps best known and best-loved for her skill in comedy.
Actors, directors and the many fans of El-Bably across the Arab world have been paying tribute to her as the queen of comedy and diva of the Egyptian stage.
For some, El-Bably’s name evokes nostalgia for what’s known as the golden age of Egyptian cinema in the 1950s and 60s – she worked with some of the most revered directors and acted with other legendary stars.
Later, she had great success on television – playing leading roles in some of the most popular series that are a staple of family life every Ramadan.
A tweeter shared photos of the actress:
Today we mourn as we lost one of the greatest greats. So saddened and heartbroken to hear of the passing of Soheir El-Bably. One of the most legendary actresses in Egypt and Arab World history who played so many iconic roles. RIP Soska! Your legacy is eternal. #سهير_البابلي pic.twitter.com/NGOXL6M4GS— Wirjil (@Wirjil) November 21, 2021
t is on stage that many feel El-Bably made her greatest contribution – where her style matched the sly knockabout humour of the Egyptian theatre.
The dominance of Egyptian entertainment in the Arab world made her a household name across the region, with many now mourning her loss as if she were a member of their own family.
- Afenyo-Markin pleads for confirmation of ministerial nominees
- AFCON 2023Q: Antoine Semenyo nets last-ditch winner as Black Stars beat Angola
- Social media reacts to Afena-Gyan’s rejection of Black Meteors call-up
- Ghana v Angola: Jordan Ayew, Kudus start as Chris Hughton era begins
- Ashaiman invasion: We have been commended for ridding town of criminals – DG of Armed Forces Public Affairs
- Funny Face opens up on relationship with Emmanuel Adebayor
- Ghana power firms reject move to restructure $1.4bn debt
- Cedi improves in value against dollar; $1 now ¢12.40
- Organ-trafficking Nigerian politician, wife found guilty
- NDC flagbearership race: Kwabena Duffour submits nomination forms
- Kejetia Market fire: Managers ignored systematic flaws – City authorities
- Chewing gum improves academic performance
- Lori Harvey and Damson Idris reportedly split after three month whirlwind romance
- African sport rocked by sexual abuse allegations in DR Congo and Cameroon
- Ministerial nominees: Stalemate persists; Minority determined not to approve – Ablakwa
- Global Economic Challenges: Time is right to see value of insurers – Owusu-Banahene
- Get financing assurances from creditors, partners before Board approval – IMF to Ghana
- Attempts by Bawumia’s supporters to politicise enskinment of new Yagbonwura disrespectful – Joyce Bawah
- Exploring the art of drum making
- Mahama begins 3-day campaign tour of the Western Region today
- Police called to Rihanna’s house after man shows up to propose
- ECG retrieves almost ¢2.5m from 2 defaulting firms in Kumasi
- South Africa opposition vows to ‘protect’ Putin from ICC arrest
- 2023 AFCONQ: Ghana 1-0 Angola: Player Ratings – Partey shines, Mensah struggles
- Ramadan: Nigerians face arrest for ‘eating in public’