Egyptian giants Al Ahly SC have appointed former FC Basel coach Marcel Koller as their new manager.
The Swiss replaces Portuguese, Ricardo Soares, who was in charge for just two months, on a two-year deal.
The record African champions announced the appointment of the 61-year-old on Saturday, September 9 in a statement posted on their social media accounts.
“We are delighted to announce that the Swiss manager Marcel Koller will be our new manager for the next two years,” the statement said.
“The coach will arrive in Cairo on Saturday with his three assistants to start his mission with The Red Eagles.”
He has previously managed Grasshoppers, FC Köln, the Austria national team, and VfL Bochum.
Koller is the third managerial appointment the ten-time African champions have made in 2022.
When South African Pitso Mosimane was fired in June 2022, native Samy Komsan was in charge on a caretaker basis for 16 days before Soares came in.
By merit, Al Ahly should not be participating in the 2022/23 CAF Champions League. They finished third in the 2021/22 Egyptian Premier League; the first time since the 1991/92 season – 30 years.
At the time CAF was calling for participating teams to be confirmed, the Egyptian league was still in session. The Egyptian FA decided to use the results of the first round when Al Ahly were second on the table.
- Nurse who was verbally abused by Ashanti Region NSS Boss no longer at Manhyia Hospital – GRNMA
- Moody’s downgrades Ghana to further junk status, warns investors could lose in debt restructuring
- NSS summons Ashanti Region boss for investigation
- Dubai’s ENOC denies gold-for-oil barter talks with Ghana
- ‘You’ll see, more is coming from my boy’ – Andre Ayew on Kudus’ future
- Ronaldo receives $225m offer to play for Saudi Arabian club
- “We’ve been tracking Mohammed Kudus for more than one year” – Barcelona Director
- Why General Arts students are ‘bleeding’ on social media
- 14 pupils receiving treatment after school bus somersaults, falls into a ditch
- Sack Ashanti Region NSS boss; he is unfit to be director in public service – GRNMA tells government
- Spotify Wrapped 2022: Burna Boy, Black Sherif are the most streamed artistes in Ghana
- YEA partners INZAG Germany to employ over 700 artisans ￼
- Dansworld Services adjudged best Environment and Sanitation company at 2022 AGI awards
- “2006 World Cup Squad was not afraid of games” – Appiah
- Minority welcomes government’s decision to reintroduce road toll in 2023
- IMF team to visit Ghana on December 1, 2022
- Ghana Kidney Association celebrates 50 years of Dialysis
- Let’s salute Ghanaian farmers – NAFCO boss
- PFAG unhappy about failure of 2023 budget in tackling key constraints in Agric sector
- Government to set up task force on rivers to end illegal mining
- We must address the inequalities holding back Ghana’s AIDS response – HFFG
- Save our funds and investments – Concerned members of HCCUL
- Come to our aid – SOGASCO calls for help
- 2023 Budget: TUC rejects government’s salary projection of ₵44.9m
- Sustainable energy expert of Ghanaian descent appointed to US President’s Advisory Council on Doing Business in Africa