Audio By Carbonatix
A family from Angola trapped in a South Korean airport for the last nine months can finally apply for asylum following a high court ruling.
The Lulendo family say they travelled to South Korea because they were being persecuted for their Congolese background in Angola.
But officials refused the parents and four children permission to apply for asylum as they disputed their claim.
Unable to enter South Korea, the family have been stuck since 28 December.
Immigration officials at Seoul's Incheon International Airport suspected Nkuka Lulendo and his wife of having economic motives for seeking asylum and denied them the chance to apply for refugee visas, according to local media.
But in a video interview from June with new media company Asian Boss, Mr Lulendo said he was "sabotaged" for his Congolese roots.
He was working as a taxi driver in Angola when his car smashed into a police jeep. He had swerved in order to avoid crashing into pedestrians, he said.
"They [police] put me in jail on the spot - without any trial," he alleged in the interview. He added that he had been "mistreated" and "tortured" during the 10 days he spent in jail.
He also said that police went to his house and raped his wife on the day that he was released from jail.
"We didn't intend to come to Korea. We just had to flee the country," he is quoted as saying in the interview.
Mr Lulendo says he is a member of a community which has argued for several years that its members face discrimination from Angolans because of their Congolese heritage.
The South Korean high court's ruling in favour of the Angolan family overturns a lower court's decision, which sided with immigration authorities.
"It's meaningful that the court acknowledged the family's right to have their refugee application considered," lawyer Lee Sang-hoon, who represents the family, told Yonhap News Agency.
"We hope this ruling will also change the society's misconception of asylum seekers."
Latest Stories
-
Keta MP offers relief to Afiadenyigba SHS after fire outbreak
54 seconds -
UMaT graduates 95 students, commits to training 1,000 coders
4 minutes -
Modified Taxation Scheme: Ghana’s surest way to inclusive tax administration
14 minutes -
Asunafo North Cocoa Farmers Union and partners rescue rural schools from infrastructure crisis
23 minutes -
Africa must become a destination for investment, not aid — Deputy Finance Minister
52 minutes -
Regulation by invoicing: Systemic flaws in NITA’s licensing push and threat to Ghana’s digital trust
56 minutes -
‘I’m sick and tired of this country’ – Ghanaian in South Africa pour out frustrations at meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister
1 hour -
‘Mum’s dementia means I live in the moment with her’
1 hour -
Energy Commission champions Clean Energy Transition
2 hours -
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
2 hours -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
2 hours -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
3 hours -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
3 hours -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
3 hours -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
4 hours