Audio By Carbonatix
A man who was upset with his daughter’s lifestyle decapitated her with a sword and paraded her severed head through his village.
Family members of a hooch victim mourn in front of the dead body in front of their residence in Roshannagar in Devarajeevanahalli in Bangalore which had killed 18 people.
Marble miner Ogad Singh was angered by a series of affairs his 20-year-old daughter Manju Kunwar had recently had and became enraged when she eloped with a man two weeks ago.
Manju had been living with her parents in the Rajasthani village of Dungarji after leaving her husband two years ago.
Police Superintendent Umesh Ojha said Singh forced her to return home from her new husband on Sunday and beheaded her the following day, before surrendering to the authorities.
Kunwar's mother, a farmer, was working in the fields at the time and was too distressed to comment.
The 20-year-old's head and the rest of her body were cremated according to Hindu tradition, police said.
The horrific incident is the latest example of the social clashes faced by a rapidly modernising India, as young people resist traditional arranged marriages and rules dictating women's behaviour.
Earlier this month, India topped a poll as the worst place to be a woman in the top 19 economies in the world.
The Thomas Reuters Foundation cited abuse, killings and discrimination on a scale unparalleled in the other nations.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
4 minutes -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
8 minutes -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
15 minutes -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund review
20 minutes -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
21 minutes -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
23 minutes -
96% of Ghanaian pensioners willing to work beyond retirement age – Study
27 minutes -
Ghana gets nuclear power plant simulator
33 minutes -
Temporary Akosombo power control facility to be ready by September – Energy Ministry
34 minutes -
GMTF, Atlantic Lifesciences explore local production of cancer and heart medicines
38 minutes -
GHS medical-legal claims hit GH¢400m in three years
44 minutes -
Mahama cautions Ghanaians not to take religious freedom for granted
60 minutes -
We need development pathway, not selection exercise – Sports Minister urges football stakeholders
1 hour -
Government prioritises foundational learning to improve education outcomes
1 hour -
Ghana, Côte d’Ivoire deepen maritime security cooperation through joint boundary inspection
1 hour