Audio By Carbonatix
Claims of corruption in the 2018 World Cup bidding process have damaged Fifa's reputation, says a member of the body which will choose the hosts next month.
Fifa will decide next week whether to take action against two executive committee members, Nigerian Amos Adamu and Tahitian Reynald Temarii.
The duo face corruption charges following a Sunday Times expose.
"I'm sure there's damage for Fifa and for the World Cup," Fifa executive member Junji Ogura told BBC Sport.
"We were very surprised and disappointed when the executive committee announced two members had been provisionally suspended. We are waiting for the outcome of the Fifa ethics committee later this month and we don't know if they are innocent."
Reporters from the Sunday Times posed as lobbyists for a consortium of private American companies who wanted to secure the World Cup for the United States.
Adamu has been accused of asking to be paid ÂŁ500,000 - half of that up front - to build four artificial football pitches in his home country.
Temarii, a Fifa vice-president who represents the Oceania confederation, was alleged to have requested ÂŁ1.5m for a sports academy to be built in the region.
Both deny any wrongdoing and will fight the allegations when they appear before Fifa's ethics committee at a three-day hearing that begins on 15 November.
Initially, England's chances did not seem to have been hit by the Sunday Times investigation.
But a member of the England bid team told the BBC last week that the campaign had been "significantly harmed" by a Fifa backlash against the British media.
One source said the reaction of the Fifa members to the expose was so bad that if the vote were tomorrow England would certainly lose.
Crucially, it now seems even long-term core supporters of England's bid have told officials they can no longer back them in the 2 December vote.
England 2018 fear further damage could be caused by another investigation into Fifa's conduct by BBC's Panorama.
Last week, it emerged that England 2018 chief executive Andy Anson met with the BBC director general Mark Thompson to discuss the possible upcoming programme.
In a boost for England's campaign, Ogura said that the media would not influence his decision, although he conceded that some executive committee members would be affected.
"Their [England's] chances are very big," said Ogura. "The contents of the English bid everyone appreciates very much."
Fifa's ethics committee will also consider claims made by former Fifa general secretary Michel Zen Ruffinen that Spain and Portugal's bid team for 2018 has formed a voting alliance with Qatar for 2022 - a move which is against Fifa's bidding rules.
Bid leaders from Spain/Portugal and Qatar are refusing to comment officially on the allegations, although the head of the Portuguese FA, Gilberto Modail, has categorically denied the claims.
Zen Ruffinen has also stated that his claims were an exaggeration to impress the reporters posing as American lobbyists.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Gov’t targets petroleum upstream recovery after five years of consecutive decline
1 minute -
TUC welcomes ICJ ruling affirming workers’ right to strike
29 minutes -
NDC teachers launch grassroots political drive in Western North
51 minutes -
GN Savings and Loans to reopen first branch in Elmina – Nduom
1 hour -
Mr Eazi’s Zagadat Capital acquires 17.31 per cent stake in Intravenous Infusions PLC
2 hours -
Usyk keeps titles with controversial Verhoeven stoppage
2 hours -
Suspect killed after opening fire on Secret Service near White House
2 hours -
Mahama, Macron push new chapter on reparatory justice
3 hours -
Ghana Institute of Architects cracks down on fake architects and illegal practice
3 hours -
Ghana to destroy over 4,000 illegal weapons in nationwide arms amnesty exercise
3 hours -
Headmen and Queen Mothers meet in Binde to promote lasting peace in Mamprugu Kingdom
4 hours -
Tension in Kasoa: Assembly pulls down shops for 24-hour economy project
5 hours -
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
5 hours -
Eastern Regional Minister halts Koforidua China Mall project over severe flooding
5 hours -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
6 hours