Audio By Carbonatix
A ban on the use of the Islamic headscarf, or hijab, for Muslim women footballers was lifted by the sport’s rule makers on Thursday.
The garment had previously been banned due to safety concerns and because it was not recognised in the laws of the game.
The International Football Association Board (IFAB) unanimously overturned the ban and agreed to re-write the laws after studying reports from FIFA’s medical officer.
“Safety and medical issues have been removed for the use of the headscarf and it is approved that players can have the head scarf,” FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke told reporters.
He said a further meeting in October would discuss the details.
“The only remaining point now is now the colour and design of the headscarf,” he said.
The move came after a campaign in favour of the hijab from FIFA vice-president and executive committee member Prince Ali Bin Al-Hussein of Jordan.
Other sports such as rugby and taekwondo already allow the use of the hijab.
Last year the women’s football team from Iran were prevented from playing their 2012 Olympic second round qualifying match against Jordan because they refused to remove their hijabs before kickoff.
Iran, who had topped their group in the first round of Olympic qualifiers, were punished with an automatic 3-0 defeat, which abruptly ended their dreams of qualifying for the London games.
IFAB, founded in 1886, is soccer’s ultimate law-making body, comprising four members from FIFA and four from the British associations.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Galamsey could trigger major health crisis within five years — Medical experts warn
1 minute -
Defending champions SUSEC, Twene Amanfo SHTS secure Bono Zone 2 spots in 2026 NPSC
14 minutes -
ICU-Ghana General Secretary Morgan Ayawine named Africa’s Most Respected CEO in Labour Leadership
15 minutes -
GTEC orders university administrators back to work, gives VCs 48 hours to name defiers
23 minutes -
Chief arrested for allegedly engaging in illegal mining in Tano North
26 minutes -
Fighting fires, fighting for breath: The hidden health toll on Ghana’s firefighters – and the support that still falls short
32 minutes -
Presbyterian Church of Ghana clarifies role of Christians in stool/skin offices
35 minutes -
‘There is no emergency’ – Godfred Dame criticises vacation hearing in Abdul-Hamid case
39 minutes -
Eco SIM and sustainability, making mobile technology greener
52 minutes -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Building a future-ready organization
52 minutes -
The Hunger Project-Ghana commissions ICT Centre at Domi Achiansa Epicenter to bridge digital divide.
52 minutes -
Nabdam: Police arrest 14 for cultivating and distributing ‘wee’
53 minutes -
Afro-Arab Drive Green expands EV fleet to boost jobs through energy transition
57 minutes -
Sunyani Paramount Chief warns chiefs against cemetery land sales and encroachment
57 minutes -
Trump envoy Kushner arrives in Israel after rare Hamas talks on Gaza peace plan
58 minutes