Audio By Carbonatix
International rule-making body for soccer lifts ban on kippot, hijab, turbans, after 2-year trial period.
A FIFA panel known as the International Football Association Board made the decision, extending a two-year trial period during which hijabs were permitted. Turbans will also be allowed.
The decision on head coverings follows extra trials after a July 2012 decision to approve scarves worn by Islamic female players.
FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke said Saturday’s decision extended to male players following a request from Sikh community leaders in Canada.
“You cannot have discrimination,” Valcke said at a news conference in Zurich, Switzerland. “It was decided that what can apply to female players can also apply to men.”
Last year, Quebec’s soccer federation set off a political firestorm — and was suspended by the Canadian Soccer Association — for enforcing a ban on turbans and other religious headwear.
The federation lifted the ban after FIFA clarified last June that such headwear was acceptable.
The Quebec organization had cited safety issues for its controversial move as well as the fact the garments were not endorsed by FIFA.
The Parti Quebecois government came out in favour of the federation’s position, while many federal politicians slammed it as exclusionary.
The federation maintained it wasn’t trying to create problems and only wanted to get clarity from FIFA.
Latest Stories
-
Asunafo North Cocoa Farmers Union and partners rescue rural schools from infrastructure crisis
1 second -
Africa must become a destination for investment, not aid — Deputy Finance Minister
29 minutes -
Regulation by invoicing: Systemic flaws in NITA’s licensing push and threat to Ghana’s digital trust
33 minutes -
‘I’m sick and tired of this country’ – Ghanaian in South Africa pour out frustrations at meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister
57 minutes -
‘Mum’s dementia means I live in the moment with her’
1 hour -
Energy Commission champions Clean Energy Transition
1 hour -
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
2 hours -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
2 hours -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
2 hours -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
2 hours -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
2 hours -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
4 hours -
Government deploys armoured buses disguised as VIP, STC and OA coaches to fight highway robberies
4 hours -
GES director raises alarm over 300 teacher deficits in the Asutifi North District
4 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
6 hours