Audio By Carbonatix
Chris Forsythe, the FIFA agent at the centre of the match fixing scandal that shook the Ghana Football Association during the 2014 World Cup, has been handed a three year ban.
The decision was given on Thursday after months of investigation by the GFA. Forsythe's accomplice, Obed Nketiah, has also been given a warning by the Ethics Committee of the GFA.
The FA was instructed by FIFA last year to handle the case locally with the advise that they revert to FIFA in case they failed to find a resolution to the matter.
In the ruling of the Ethics Committee, the following was determined:
"Mr. Forsythe had been unethical and asked for his FIFA player license to be revoked forthwith. He is also been banned from organizing or involving himself in any football matches at any level for three years and has also been disqualified from holding any executive position in any club for three years.
"On his part, Obed Nketiah has been severely reprimanded to serve as a deterrent to people who may be tempted to drift along the path of ethical depravity.
"He has further been banned from holding any executive position on the Ghana Football Association or any of its sub-committees for two years."
It will be recalled that The Telegraph partnered Channel 4 television - both British media outlets, in an undercover investigation last year that uncovered videos of Chris Forsythe and Obed Nketiah - financier of Ghana Premier league side Berekum Chelsea.
The pictures showed both plotting about their intention to employ corrupt officials who could fix friendly games played by the Black Stars.
In fact, Forsythe had mentioned that match fixing is a common theme in in modern day football and that he was capable of even fixing matches between Ghana and British teams.
Latest Stories
-
Photos: President Mahama cuts sod for 24-hour economy market in Bole
20 minutes -
Ghana-eligible midfielder Kofi Amoako joins Hamburg from Dynamo Dresden
25 minutes -
Mahama commissions Yamoransa Model Lab 13 to advance STEM and digital skills training
41 minutes -
Youth Ministry says nearly 90,000 young people are employed under government programmes
2 hours -
Adaklu Mountain now a security zone – Volta Regional Minister
2 hours -
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
2 hours -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
3 hours -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
3 hours -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
3 hours -
Football Noise, Economic Silence
3 hours -
Replacing Haruna and Muntaka in Parliament was strategic for Election 2024 – Asiedu Nketia, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu explain the plot
3 hours -
Security service recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
3 hours -
Ghana’s tech prodigies set for Geneva after triumphant ‘Robotics for Good’ national qualifiers
3 hours -
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
4 hours -
Mahama says Ghana’s IMF programme was close to derailment before he took over
4 hours