Hearts of Oak and Asante Kotoko registered wins on the same matchday for the first time this season as AshantiGold lost at home for the first time in almost three years.
Kotoko wonderkid Mathew Cudjoe set a new club record, however, Yahaya Mohammed seems to be peeling off in the golden boot race.
Mathew Cudjoe announces himself to the league
Teenage sensation Mathew Cudjoe stole the headlines as he broke the deadlock for Asante Kotoko against Ebusua Dwarfs.
With the game locked at 0-0, Maxwell Konadu threw on the 16-year-old in the 80th minute and just three minutes later, he showed his composure as he gave the Porcupine Warriors the lead.
At 16 years 68 days, Mathew Cudjoe has become the youngest player to score a goal in the league for Asante Kotoko, breaking Dauda Mohammed’s record of 16years, 335 days old.
Yahaya Mohammed extends lead in golden boot race
Yahaya Mohammed took a step closer to winning the golden boot race as he grabbed a goal against Legon Cities in matchday 5.
The goal means Mohammed has scored six goals in just five games this season, averaging more than a goal per game.
However, none of 31-year-old’s goals have come away, all of his six goals have been at Dormaa.
Berekum Chelsea affirm title aspirations
Berekum Chelsea keep raising the bar this season. In what should have been a title race between Kotoko, AshGold, Hearts and Aduana at the start of the season, Chelsea have slowly inscribed their names on that list.
Their latest feat is beating fellow title contenders AshiGold and in the process ending a 13-match unbeaten run by the Miners in Obuasi.
Yet to concede this season, one of the standout departments of the Blues has been their defence, preventing AshGold from scoring at home for the first time in 18 games.
Chelsea’s win on matchday 5 means they have equalled their club record for consecutive away wins (3) against Hearts, Kotoko and AshGold
Nii Odoom getting a hang of Phobians
After a baptism of fire in Nii Odoom’s first encounter against Medeama, Hearts have slowly settled.
From losing their first two matches, the Phobians are now unbeaten in their last three matches.
Their latest was a last gasp win against Liberty Professionals at the Carl Reindorf Park.
Hearts of Oak conceded in the first minute but fought till the end scoring two goals in the last four minutes.
Odoom will take credit for this victory because it was his substitute Bernard Arthur who scored the equalizer and set up Kofi Kordzi for the winner.
Hearts will go into the Super Clash against Hearts of Oak next Sunday full of confidence after this result.
Medeama finally broken
Heading to matchday 5, Medeama alongside AshGold and WAFA were unbeaten. Unfortunately for the Yellow and Mauves, their invisibilty cloak was stripped off by a determined Dreams side.
Medeama’s impressive start had various pundits touting them as serious title contenders especially after defeating Hearts of Oak and Asante Kotoko.
The loss means Samuel Boadu’s men are now three points off Berekum Chelsea who currently lead the table.
- Afia Schwarzenegger fined GH¢60k in contempt case
- Gospel musician accuses police of killing her brother in a scuffle over cash
- Deadline for Domestic Debt Exchange Programme extended to Feb 7
- Assault of Latif: Attorney General begs for time to pursue settlement talks
- Minority leadership rancour is a needless distraction – Okudzeto Ablakwa
- Trader jailed for causing harm to ‘Good Samaritan’
- Stonebwoy revisits VGMA brawl with Shatta Wale on The Breakfast Club
- UTAG-GIJ threatens to withdraw from UniMac merger
- Football transfers: Kamaldeen Sulemana chooses Southampton over Everton
- Minority Caucus meeting over removal of Minority leadership postponed for the second time
- Domelevo yet to receive emoluments nearly 3 years after being ‘forced out’
- Debt exchange: I don’t want to believe there are conmen in government – Carbonu on pensions
- Hubtel wins big at Ghana Fintech Awards 2022
- ‘Kamaldeen feels he can help Southampton immediately’ – Nathan Jones
- Fire kills mother, 2 daughters at Abuakwa
- 34 women arrested for prostitution in Tema, each granted GHs5k bail each
- Ex-soldier sues government, colleagues over sexual abuse
- aYo insurance covers over 8 million Ghanaians in 5 years
- Every Premier League signing and sale made in the January 2023 transfer window
- Southampton confirm signing of Black Stars winger Kamaldeen Sulemana
- Husband tells wife to pay him 30% of her salary for using their home office to work
- Ukraine deserves to join Nato, says new Czech leader
- CHAN 2022: Senegal see off Madagascar to set up final with Algeria
- Sex and no sleep may be killing endangered quolls – Research
- Tobe Nwigwe names Stonebwoy, Burna Boy, others as musicians he hopes to work with