Audio By Carbonatix
Women requiring special breast reconstruction and reduction surgeries will have it done free of charge at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) in Kumasi May 10-14.
This has been made possible via a collaboration between KATH and Restoring Emotional Stability Through Outstanding Reconstructive Efforts (RESTORE,) based in the US.
A news release authored by Kwame Frimpong, Public Relations Officer of KATH, said the aim of the exercise is to accomplish a number of reconstructive surgeries, mainly of the breast.
“Persons with severe abnormalities of the breast, such as excessive breast tissue in young females, absence of one breast and extra large breast tissues, are encouraged to report to the Breast Clinic of KATH for screening and possible selection for the breast reduction and reconstructive surgery,” the statement indicated.
Persons with severe facial or body deformities are likewise invited to report for the screening, and possible selection for surgery, the release continued, adding, “Surgeons with interest in breast reconstruction are invited to participate in this programme.”
RESTORE was founded by a US based Ghanaian, Dr Michael K. Obeng, Chief Plastic Surgeon at St. Elizabeth Boardman Health Centre and an assistant professor at the University of Pittsburg, USA.
As a non-profit medical services organization, RESTORE has over the years been providing free reconstructive surgery and related medical services to abused children and battered individuals with accidental and congenital deformities.
Last year, KATH and RESTORE officials collaborated and successfully performed the hospital’s first immediate breast reconstruction on a patient who has undergone a mastectomy, which is the removal of the breast due to cancer.
The team constructed a new breast for the patient using her abdominal tissue, after the original breast had been completely removed due to cancer.
Source: Daily Guide
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
2 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
2 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
2 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
2 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
2 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
2 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
2 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
2 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
2 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
2 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
3 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
3 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
3 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
3 hours