Audio By Carbonatix
The chairman of the Volta Caucus in Parliament, Emmanuel Bedzrah, has described as unsatisfactory, the government’s response to Sunday’s tidal wave attack in the Region.
He is disappointed that many of the victims of the disaster are yet to receive relief items days after the incident which has rendered thousands homeless.
Speaking on Joy FM’s Top Story on Tuesday, the Ho West MP called on the government to immediately send some form of relief to the victims.
“No relief has reached Ketu South yet. They are still waiting for relief after four days, but I believe that by the close of today (Tuesday), Ketu South people will also have something as well as the whole affected communities,” he told host Evans Mensah.
“We are not satisfied, we need more to be done than this,” he added.
Emmanuel Bedzrah believes that the National Disaster Management Organization, the government agency responsible for providing relief items, ignored early signs of an impending major tidal wave attack in the Region.
According to him, at least two minor attacks had been recorded prior to Sunday’s disaster.
“The early warning signals were all there. Far back in March, something happened. I’m told something happened weeks ago too. Why were they not prepared?” he queried.
Meanwhile, he disclosed that the Volta Caucus in Parliament is mobilizing to send some form of relief to the victims.
“We will be going there on Thursday. The Speaker has directed that we go. We are mobilizing not only food but blankets and other things. We are calling on benevolent people to support us,” Emmanuel Bedzrah urged.
Thousands of residents in the Anlo District, Ketu South, and Keta Municipalities were rendered homeless after tidal waves swept through their homes on Sunday dawn.
Communities such as Abutiakope, Kedzikope, and Keta Central are largely affected and residents have nothing to salvage.
Minister for Works and Housing, Francis Asenso-Boakye, has assured of budgetary allocation for the completion of the Keta sea defense wall project.
Municipal Chief Executive of the Ketu South Municipality, Maxwell Lugudor, on Tuesday evening, told JoyNews that affected persons in the Municipality were yet to get some form of relief from the government.
He was, however, hopeful that NADMO would come through with some items.
Latest Stories
-
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
29 minutes -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
47 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
1 hour -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
3 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
4 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
4 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
4 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
5 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
5 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
5 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
6 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
6 hours -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
6 hours -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
6 hours