Audio By Carbonatix
An Accra High Court presided over by Justice Mary Yanzuh has ruled that the trial of NDC’s James Gyakye Quayson will be heard on daily basis starting from July 4,2023.
The court ruled that its June 16 order announcing this arrangement was within law and a case for a review had not been made.
“Adjournments are at the discretion of the court and not the convenience of parties. The order of this court was clearly in line with the law.
“No where was it demonstrated that the order was contrary to law.
“His rights have not violated by court for refusing not to give him time to campaign.
“Mere refusal of the court does not constitute denial of right to fair trial,” the judge stated.
Lawyers for Mr. Quayson had urged the court to review its order insisting he needed time to campaign ahead of the June 27 Assin North by-election.
They provided to the court documents showing statements made by the Attorney General which they insisted prejudiced the case.
Justice Yanzuh however ruled that those statements were not relevant to the issue at hand.
“None of the above grounds has been made to warrant a review. The points raised are not different from those canvassed previously.
“The only new information is the alleged prejudicial comments made by the AG. These assertions are not relevant for me to review my decision.
“Fair trial is against undue delay. It is in the interest of justice that trials are not unduly delayed.”
She thus adjourned proceedings to June 29, July 4, and added that the trial will proceed on a day to day basis afterwards.
These dates were selected due to the unavailability of the specific court room on Mondays, the June 27 By-election and the upcoming Holiday and Martyrs’ day.
Deputy Attorney General Diana Asonaba Dapaah told joynews the decision of the court is consistent with time tested principles of law.
“It sits with what we have always said that it is up to the court to decide the dates for hearing and not at the convenience of an accused person,” she stated.
Member of Mr. Quayson’s legal team Baba Jamal was also satisfied with the decision.
He told joynews the main purpose of the request was to allow him time to campaign.
“We don’t have any issues with day to day after the polls. We needed time to campaign. Even though our application has been dismissed, we are satisfied”
Latest Stories
-
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
10 minutes -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
19 minutes -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
29 minutes -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
1 hour -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
1 hour -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
1 hour -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
2 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
3 hours -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
3 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
3 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
3 hours -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
3 hours -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
3 hours -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
3 hours -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
3 hours