Audio By Carbonatix
Ghana striker Asamoah Gyan says Richard Kingson is the undisputed first choice Black Stars goalkeeper and calls for him to quit are far off target.
The Sunderland attacker insists the former Blackpool shot-stopper stands head and shoulders above the other goalkeepers in the national team.
Kingson has come under fire for recent goals he conceded while playing for the Black Stars.
His howler caused Congo get the consolation during their 3-1 defeat to Ghana last week.
The goalkeeper’s problems compounded after a late goal that saw South Korea beating the Black Stars 2-1 in Jeonju even though it was not entirely his fault.
Gyan has rejected calls for Kingson to quit insisting he is the best among the goalkeeping team that includes Ernest Sowah and Sammy Adjei.
“Looking at our current crop of goalkeepers, though they are all good Kingson stands heads and shoulders above all of them to be very honest with you,” Gyan said.
Kingson has led Ghana to recent successes but his dominance over the other keepers has irked some supporters.
He was verbally abused by a fan before the Congo game with some believing the attacks are orchestrated to oust him in favour of Sammy Adjei who is the third choice keeper.
Gyan is among several high profile coaches, ex and current players who have publicly supported Kingson as the undisputed first choice keeper.
Source: Ghanasoccernet.com
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Fernandes breaks assist record as Brighton land Euro spot despite loss
2 minutes -
Sunderland reach Europa League at Chelsea’s expense
6 minutes -
Spurs beat Everton to secure Premier League survival
9 minutes -
Xenophobia: Ghana to receive first batch of evacuees from South Africa on May 27
34 minutes -
GPL 2025/26: Swedru All Blacks stun Kotoko in dramatic final-day comeback
40 minutes -
Slump continues as cedi becomes worst-performing currency in sub-Saharan Africa in 2026
1 hour -
Petroleum Commission hails 7 Eleven’s indigenous bolt and nut plant as sign of local content growth
1 hour -
Keta MP offers relief to Afiadenyigba SHS after fire outbreak
2 hours -
UMaT graduates 95 students, commits to training 1,000 coders
2 hours -
Modified Taxation Scheme: Ghana’s surest way to inclusive tax administration
2 hours -
Asunafo North Cocoa Farmers Union and partners rescue rural schools from infrastructure crisis
2 hours -
Africa must become a destination for investment, not aid — Deputy Finance Minister
2 hours -
Regulation by invoicing: Systemic flaws in NITA’s licensing push and threat to Ghana’s digital trust
2 hours -
‘I’m sick and tired of this country’ – Ghanaian in South Africa pours out frustrations at meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister
3 hours -
‘Mum’s dementia means I live in the moment with her’
3 hours