Audio By Carbonatix
The MP for the Awutu Senya East Constituency Mavis Hawa Koomson has defended her decision to fire a gun at a polling station in Kasoa.
This follows various backlash received from individuals and civil society organizations after a scuffle in the constituency ended with gunshots and three motorbikes getting burnt.
While the Coalition of Domestic Election Observers (CODEO) has condemned her actions, describing it as disturbing and selfish, security expert Prof Kwesi Aning is calling for her dismissal as a Minister of State.
On Monday, officials of the Electoral Commission had to closed down the Step to Christ registration centre in the Awutu Senya East constituency after gun wielding men stormed the premises with the MP.
The men, alleged to be numbering about 15 were accused of trying to prevent prospective voters from partaking in the registration exercise and burning motorbikes in the process.
But the MP, says, she was the one wielding a gun and only gave the warning shots when her car was attacked by alleged thugs affiliated with the NDC.
“As Hon. Mavis Hawa Koomson entered the polling stations with her entourage, they saw some motorists who had earlier been seen with the NDC’s candidate, Naa Koryor, at Universal polling station. Following and running around the Member of Parliament’s vehicle and attacked her lead vehicle by smashing the taillight and the bumper. The said car is parked at the kasoa police station.
"This was an attempt to ambush her and prevent her from entering the premises. Furthermore, the unidentified motorists had on face masks making it difficult to see their faces.
"The wild behavior of the thugs caused the registrants to scatter because the place had become unsafe.
"Upon seeing the danger posed by these thugs on motorbikes who were attacking her unarmed team close to the polling station, the Member of Parliament quickly gave a warning shot in the air in self-defense to scare off the thugs,” part of a press statement released read.
In the statement sighted by JoyNews, Mavis Hawa Koomson who is also the Minister for Special Development Initiatives accused the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) of escalating the confusion, chaos, and frustrations within the constituency.
The statement concluded by calling on the leadership of the NDC to call its members within the constituency to order and also condemn the constituency executives for their role in the incident that occurred at the polling station.
“Awutu Senya East NPP is not ready to give in to these hooligans in the NDC who have vowed to destroy the registration process and will do all in her power to maintain peace and stability," it said.
Latest Stories
-
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
5 minutes -
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
10 minutes -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
13 minutes -
Gov’t disburses GH¢23.1bn to clear road contractors’ arrears – Roads Minister
17 minutes -
Massive crowd turns out for Brock Royal Family’s Osu Duku Walk
18 minutes -
Aboboyaa Group donates two motorcycles to NACOC Ashanti Command
23 minutes -
Sexual harassment has no place in educational institutions – Education Ministry
30 minutes -
Rev Prof Amevenku elected 15th EPCG Moderator, pledges servant leadership
36 minutes -
Military leaders urged to prepare for emerging security threats
41 minutes -
Ghana to expand pharmaceutical manufacturing capacity – Mahama
47 minutes -
Ghana to hold referendum on proposed constitutional amendments in 2027 – Mahama
54 minutes -
Social clubs must become engines of national development – Ace Ankomah
1 hour -
GTA closes Elmina Beach Resort, three other facilities over regulatory violations
1 hour -
Sustained peace will restore Bawku to its former glory – Mahama
1 hour -
15% of maternal mortality deaths in Kumasi are ‘imported’- Health Director
1 hour